Eagle Scouts for Rick Perry

Reading through a September, 1928 SCOUTING, and came across a couple of interesting statements in the Chief Scout Executive's Page. This was West of course.

"It is especially important, as we approach the Presidential Campaign, that all Scout Leaders be fully informed whole-heartedly cooperate in an effort to avoid involving the Boy Scouts of America in controversial questions. Section 2 of Article III of the Constitution reads: "The Boy Scouts of America shall not, through its governing body or through any of its officers, its chartered Councils or members, involve the Boy Scout Movement in any question of a political character, but each official and member shall have freedom of thought and action as an individual."

Further on, he states: "The aim and purpose of the Boy Scouts of America is, through a program of wholesome outdoor activity, and the Scout Oath and Law, to develop character and train boys for the responsibilities of citizenship. It is not within the province of the Local Council, or even the National Council, to undertake to pass resolutions or legislate on any one of the many problems before the American people. We are obligated by the Constitution and By-Laws to avoid participation in controversial and political questions."

While these statements apply directly to the subject of this thread, I can see how it might also be applied to one of our ongoing points of concern and disagreement in other threads on this forum.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all the others here. Having a website purporting that Eagle Scouts support ANY candidate is not appropriate. Scouting rules seem to disallow it though it could be argued that individual Eagle Scouts could ban together and say that they but not Scouting support a cause. Even though that might be alright does not make it correct. Clearly, Eagle Scouts span the political spectrum so it is not correct to imply that they support any political candidate. So please do not have a website entitled Eagle Scouts for any politician or political cause.

As for Perry himself, I am uncertain. In my opinion, it is so important to elect someone who is financially responsible which so far would be any of the current Republicans who are running. Perry's social conservatism could cost needed votes though I agree with his stances more than I disagree. Also, I have a trust issue since he was first a democrat. So not sure that I want him to be the candidate but then I have not seen a Republican candidate that I am excited about.