Worst Ex President of US Ever Exceeds Expectations

Yah, I remember Carter as an ineffectual and weak president, eh? Naive in many ways. But I always saw him as a good man. And da one area where he really succeeded was in brokering the Egypt-Israel accords. At the time, I wouldn't have given him a chance in a hundred of pulling that off. Figured it was just him being naive again.

But here it is over 30 years later, and that peace has held against all odds. That alone is a better legacy than some presidents.

I think if yeh really believe a bunch of former heads of state traipse off to North Korea on their own, then you're as naive as Carter was. As a president or a secretary of state, I think yeh use all da tools yeh can, eh? And yeh especially make use of 3rd parties when direct contact is inappropriate for a variety of reasons. When yeh have an egotistical nut job like Kim Jong Il, not any third party will do, but former heads of state can open doors. Neither Bush would be acceptable to NK, so that leaves Bill or Jimmy, and Carter has a history with da fellow. Nothing more than practical diplomacy.

And you're missin' another trick, eh? If North Koreans start starving, yeh don't expect da Chairman is goin' to just sit by and risk a revolution, do yeh? Are yeh ready to spend another trillion dollars defending South Korea against military incursions? Carter and other ex-Presidents can make a call for humanitarian aid that provides some cover to do what's necessary to buy the fellow off as we wait for him to follow Bin Laden to his just reward. I know that strategy is unappetizin', but it's da strategy that's been used by every president, Republican or Democrat, since Truman.

Beavah

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beavah - exactly.

Brent, every president, Dem or Rep, has worked (often closely) with despots. I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Carter, as president, was any worse than the rest of them. It just isn't very objective. By your logic, President GW Bush should never have developed a close connection with Pervez Musharraf, not to mention V. Putin.

Every presidents has both successes and failures. Carter's two successes were facilitating the Camp David accords between Israel and Egypt and the Panama Canal Treaty. I would point out that the initiative for the deal between Israel and Egypt came from Anwar Sadat. Nevertheless the US had a role to play and Carter did what was appropriate and necessary.

My beef is with his behavior since leaving office, including criticizing the US and its leaders in front of foreign audiences.

Lisa,

Carter's cozing up to dictators as president was minor compared to what he has done since leaving office, which is the time period I was refering to. He continues to do it to this day. Tell me any ex-president who has done so (after leaving office)?

My beef is with his behavior since leaving office, including criticizing the US and its leaders in front of foreign audiences.

So just out of curiosity, what do yeh think of Dick Cheney?

More than any other retired president or vice president, he has been out in public criticizing the US and its leaders in the media, implying they're weak and ineffectual and not concerned about American security and all the rest. That doesn't give aid and comfort to the enemy? That doesn't encourage attacks on the nation? At least Carter by and large talks about humanitarian rather than security issues.

I agree with da general sentiment, though. If either man had a bit more sense, they'd keep their traps shut. There's a good reason why the ex-executives by and large behave like statesmen rather than politicians. It's better for the nation.

Beavah

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was a thread about George Bush. Jimmy Carter the worst President, I cant agree. The situation, and climate, of his presidency were very difficult, and his performance, under those circumstances, was very good/ Presidency aside, this man is a genius, humanitarian, and brilliant scholar. I can only say I strongly disagree with your treatment of President Carter.