2 Questions - Opinion Desired

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazed this thread is still goin' on.

I think at some point da labels "homosexual" and "heterosexual" just start to break down, eh? I'm not sure whether a pedophile or ephebophile is gay or straight, though in boy scouting what we seem to see is ephebophile gay or bi males: men who like adolescent boys. But da definitions aren't clear. I reckon at some point sex just becomes deviant, eh? Da folks who do bad things tend to do a lot of different bad things, and experiment still more. So when yeh try to get to percentages or clear definitions on this stuff, yeh just can't. Is the married minister who molests the compliant teen boy gay, straight, or bi? Who knows? I doubt he even does. The issue is just deviance.

Which I think is the point, eh? The longstandin', worldwide, multicultural, moral, ethical, practical societal position has been to discourage sexual deviance in all of its flavors and expressions.

That doesn't mean being unkind to people who are tempted to non-normative behavior, eh? We can never know why they are so attracted. It's a personal cross for them to bear, and they should do it with support and love from the community. But that support and love does not include approval of a choice to live a lifestyle that the longstandin', worldwide, multicultural, moral, ethical, practical societal position has been to discourage.

As to Tuoc Syag, I reckon like most bright fellows of 13, his sudden avowal of being gay and atheist is the act of rebellion. Young bright lads often discover that what they were taught as children about God and sex is shallow and incomplete, and quite naturally rebel against it. If they stay bright and observant, they eventually take the next step and recognize their rebellious notions are equally shallow, and they come to a more mature understanding. One that recognizes human responses to God in religion aren't clear or perfect, they're just human. Flawed, silly, hypocritical sometimes. Generous, courageous, beautiful at others. They develop wisdom, and come to a more natural faith, or a more nuanced and kind skepticism. Same with da sexual stuff. I know several former gay teens who are now happily married heterosexual men, with equally rebellious teenagers. ;)

So all things in balance, eh?

Beavah

Beavah writes:

As to Tuoc Syag, I reckon like most bright fellows of 13, his sudden avowal of being gay and atheist is the act of rebellion.

I reckon you're hilariously wrong and in denial that teenagers can actually become atheists. Not everything is about rebellion against your favorite religion.

Hey, maybe Eagle Scout Zach Wahls is heterosexual as a rebellion against his two gay moms! Or doesn't it work the other way?

No - they would irrationally fear predators because people like you keep making false accusations against homosexuality.

I would agree with this. People think homosexuals are sexual predators and they aren't. I think the fear is the values they appear to represent, at least for me, is what people don't like.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting a youth be kicked out on the spot (of course, I might have missed a post in 10 pages), but rather, he needs to figure things out before the Eagle BOR and certainly before he submits an application to the unit to become an ASM.

Well EagleDad, while I have pointed out how the BSA's policies are idiotic partly because I commonly see people on this board make all kinds of excuses not to enforce their draconian membership "values", this time I was reacting to how Beavah's attitude is completely disrespectful of a youth's capability to make up his own mind. It's also nonsensical to hold that youth members somehow ARE able to be sincere Christians/Jews/Muslims/etc and sincerely heterosexual, but being an atheist or gay is dismissed as being insincere and just an act of rebellion. If you can't respect the "wrong" decisions, you can't really respect the "right" decisions, either.

Of course, this only points up how such idiotic policies in the first place result in even more stupidity.

I was reacting to how Beavah's attitude is completely disrespectful of a youth's capability to make up his own mind.

Nonsense. The lad clearly is making up his own mind, eh? He's taken an important step in rejecting what his parents or society taught him.

If yeh missed it, what I was slightly disrespectful of were youth who just bought whatever their parents or teachers told 'em. I think yeh have to at some point push away a bit in order to get clear to really making up your own mind. Just followin' your parents is shallow, eh? And whether we're talkin' religion or sexuality, it should not be shallow. That's why some Christians talk about when they were "born again", eh? When they personally, on their own, not on their parents behalf, found Christ personally.

Of course, I think it's also possible to get "stuck" in rebellion, too, just as it's possible to get "stuck" in your parents' way of thinking. It's a kind of egotism. Yeh spend your time defining yourself by what you're not... you're not as stupid as those other people. Yeh might even keep it up well into your later life, and spend your time findin' people on internet forums that yeh can define yourself as not being like. ;)

Most folks eventually come 'round to a more mature understanding. Free of their parents, they eventually give up rebellion and come 'round to a more mature and nuanced view of God that is richer and deeper. Or, like I said, a more calm and tolerant skepticism that is based more on who they are, not what they are objecting to.

That's why we're not very quick to throw kids out, because we actually have a mature understanding of our membership policies. We know we're dealin' with kids. And kids are growing and testing and tryin' to find themselves. That's why we like workin' with 'em, and it's why the BSA is here.

Beavah

Merlyn_Leroy said:

"You're displaying the same sort of disrespect, Beavah; somehow, coming around to a more nuanced view MUST entail belief in a god, eh? It's impossible to come around to a nuanced view and being a complete atheist?"

BUT BEAVAH SAID:

" Or, like I said, a more calm and tolerant skepticism that is based more on who they are, not what they are objecting to."

not that I think Beavah can't defend hiimself but I don't see the issue unless you just enjoy picking nits Merlyn