Whats the point (or I am a SKEPTIC)

BadenP,

I don't disagree with you one bit. I'm a bigot because I don't like people who don't like other people. There will always be those out there that push my buttons in some way or another, but how I choose to react makes a world of difference. It's called tolerance and in a zero-tolerant society, it kinda makes me an enigma.

If I choose not to act on my feelings, that's an act I am willing to do to preserve a sense of civility around me. Do I like all black people, nope, do I like all white people, nope, do I like all (fill in the blank) people, nope. But that doesn't absolve me of making an effort to try and get along.

Does that choice on my part make be better than the rest. Probably not, but I do respect those who make an effort to get along.

There's a very thin line between name calling and using words to describe a situation. If I perhaps use the term Uniform Nazi, it's not because I think the other person is supporting genocide, but in reference to the two words together I am attempting to show that this person's activities are a bit over the top when it comes to uniforms. Having a uniform inspection sheet does not mean that the person is a Uniform Nazi, it means that the person simply wishes to do it correctly and is using the information on the sheet to give guidance. However, if the numerals on the shirt don't actually touch the council strip, I'm going to still give credit for the attempt to at least have the numerals on the correct sleeve. If the knots are upside down, so be it. They are sewn over the correct pocket, that's good enough for me. Blue jeans? Well, that's way out of bounds according to the sheet. So in some ways I'm a Uniform Nazi and in other ways I'm not. Judge all you want, but the act of judging is what makes bigots in the first place. :)

We all make judgments, but how we choose to act on them is what sets apart certain individuals into the realm of civility.

I don't wish to be associated with the NAACP regardless of it's history. I don't wish to be associated with the KKK regardless of it's history, either. The things BSA promotes is what I wish to associate with. No gays? Well my last Eagle Scout professed his orientation. Until he turns 18, the BSA doesn't care, but it can do what it wishes to do after that. I'm not going to be loosing any sleep over it either way. Basically, it's not my problem and I'm not going to get involved. MYOB and tolerance goes a long way to promoting civility in the world in which I live.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic