current Supreme Court case...BSA parallels?

I typically never get involved in "Issues & Politics" discussions, but I saw the news item below and figured others may want to read about it. Seems like the case may be of tangential interest to BSA.

Court splits sharply on campus Christian case:

At issue is whether law school can deny recognition to exclusive group

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36648454/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Speaking from an atheist's viewpoint, I'm certain that were he here today, Christ would also turn his back to all those gays, etc.

Well, I think that is wrong. Jesus never turned His back on anyone.

Yah, studentscout, I think you're just not gettin' Christianity. Possibly because of da poor example many Christians give sometimes, us being human and all. :p

It is a duty and a kindness to other folks to counsel the doubtful, instruct the ignorant, admonish the sinner and all that. We even call such things "works of mercy." If a fellow is alcoholic and it's ruinin' his life, it is a mercy to confront him and intervene and try to get him help, eh? In fact, doin' that is much kinder than "live and let live" and letting him end up in a gutter or in a wreck killing someone else while DUI. It is a duty and a kindness to others to stop the thief and incarcerate him... not just to protect others, but to help the person change his own behavior and come closer to God. It is a duty and kindness to admonish the fellow who is cheating on his wife, or the college student who is promiscuous.

Now sometimes an alcoholic will tell yeh to go stuff yourself, eh? Sometimes the thief won't repent. Sometimes the adulterer likes it. At that point justice and kindness demand yeh visit on 'em the consequences of their actions. Alcoholics lose friends. Thieves get punished. Promiscuous folks lose friends who believe in respect for others and loyalty.

So if you're a Christian, homosexuality or heterosexual promiscuity are sinful things, eh? They hurt the person who participates in 'em. So it's a kindness to tell 'em it's wrong. If they struggle with it but try to do better, yeh help and support them. If they tell yeh to go shove it, then they lose friends who believe in loyalty or traditional hetero "family values." We don't feel they're the right example for our kids in particular. Later on, if they change, yeh welcome 'em back with kindness and mercy.

Christ admonished sinners. Even heaped anathemas and condemnations on a few, when in their arrogance they refused to recognize their failings or were proud of their sins. He welcomed and forgave those who repented, no matter how awful their failure had been.

Dat's a hard balance to strike, eh? A fine line doin' the right thing between justice and mercy. Christians don't always get it right. A lot like being a parent, eh? When do you punish, when do you forgive? When do yeh forgive but still impose consequences? When do yeh just let the natural consequences happen? When do yeh bail your kid out of those consequences? It's hard, and as a parent yeh won't always get it right.

Gets even harder when yeh try to figure what's right in terms of civil government or society.

Good Christians are never goin' to be perfect. We just keep tryin' to do better.

Beavah

Since this is sorta an early hijack, folks interested in da court case should check out the "Interesting Case" thread.

http://www.scouter.com/Forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=273321

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Well that sure makes it OK for me then, NOT. I'm sorry your moral code accepts things like this as long as 'everybody' else does it. That's a stupid rationalization.

I'm rationalizing nothing, just correcting your statement. I'm sure you will find Jews who feel the same way as Christians as well as other non-Christian faiths. I sure there are Atheists who feel this way, too.