From page 3 of the latest version of the Scoutmaster Handbook (2001 rev):

"These are the minimum requirements for becoming a Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster:

- be at least 21 years of age."

Is this a typo or a policy change that slipped by me? My understanding is that SA's must be at least 18 years of age, not 21.

Thanks.

That's what I've always understood, too, and my DE agrees. But as has been stated in other posts, "if that's what the BSA meant, they would have said it." Can the pros shed some light on this? If it's just a typo, that's one thing, and the BSA should put out an errata notice, but as I have been recently told, "a Trainer ought to know this stuff." It's hard to tell a class of new SMs "18" when the book in front of them clearly says "21".

Just a pro weighing in.

I'm at home on a Friday evening, so I apologize for not having my resources in front of me.

I'm 98% sure that we're talking about a typo in the Scoutmaster Handbook.

The reference I wish I had with me is a simple adult application (which is being revised.) The age requirements, I believe, are listed on the inside front cover, as are the declaration of religious and other stuff. I would take that fine print as the rule.

Bob White is correct that you have to have a 21 year old (or older) lead any tour or expedition.

DS

It's a typo scoutldr. If you look at page 15 in the description of the JASM it says that upon turning 18 he will be eligible to become an Assistant Scoutmaster.

As stated in another post the only office that an 18to 20 year old can hold is ASM. All other adult positions require you to be at least 21 years of age.

Bob White