Winter Storm Coverage

Moxieman,

You may be missing your snow, but you have to admit, there's not much that's more fun than watching southerns drive on an inch of snow. (grin)

As the son of a snow plow driver not much shakes me but have to admit yesterday did. I parked the car on a hill out side of my inlaws to pick up my 7 year old. Just as I was picking her up to put her in the car it cut loose and slid down the hill. I pushed her out of the way and held on to the door frame while it slid past 4 more houses. When it came to a stop I walked back to her and then back down to the car. Did the half mile to home and parked it for the night. First time a storm has kept me off the road.

Wingnut: "there's not much that's more fun than watching southerns drive on an inch of snow. (grin)"

That's almost as much fun as watching Northerners who think they're invincible drive on ice in the South. (Southerners put NO salt and little grit on the roads.) A gentleman acquaintance from Minnesota once assured me that he'd have 'No Problem!' making it down my driveway after a touch of freezing rain. The drive is a sweeping downhill turn... The bark on the dogwood tree grew back all by itself. David had to pay good money to get the bumper to grow back on his car.

;^)

Calico: The northern half of Georgia cancelled all school for today. It's 10:30am in Atlanta, and the first flake has yet to be sighted. The snow frenzy doesn't happen often enough to be annoying, but it sure can be amusing. My only real concern is for my fellow Southerners who find that they can drive on the snow; and then proceed up to the speed limit without allowing for curves, hills, and longer stopping distance. I worry that one of those guys may plow into me.

"Department of irony: Our district has postponed this year's Klondike Derby--twice--due to snow."

OK! Now we're talking. This reminds me of a time when the news got it completely wrong. They reported that a group of camping Scouts was "rescued from the snow," when in fact the state police evacuated our Klondike Derby because of deteriorating road conditions. That one still gives me a chuckle.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

le Voyageur - the local phenomenon we were referencing wasn't about the weather itself, but about the media coverage of weather. I don't think the Pineapple Express had anything to do with the "Storm Tracker (It's going to snow/rain/be foggy everybody panic!)" phenomenon - unless of course Pineapple Express was a potent adult beverage served at a television news convention and resulted in drunken discussions that led to the "Storm Panic" phenomenon.

We have a running joke in our office - using snow as an excuse to leave early - we're always trying to top each other - so far, I'm the winner with "It's supposed to snow in Iceland this coming Saturday - better get home before traffic get's bad".

Years ago there was a news story about the scouts who were stranded by the snow on a campout and unable to return home. Not saying they were trying very hard since each day they were able walk to town for food and all they needed to go to get home was ask my father to come up with the tow truck.

But that was back when kids would do anything to stay an extra few days at camp.