BSA will take a hit for this one...

I have yet to see a good mug shot photo.

There is nothing wrong with doing a little investigative work. Lisa. Mafaking was simply stating there is a person of the same name with a FB account. Sure Wendy Rodgers is a fairly common name but no one is on a witch hunt.

LOL, one of the guys was thinking of writing a fan letter to Will Smith after the MIB movies. He asked me how to get the address and said he was thinking about doing a Google search. So I asked him, "how many people are there with the last name, Smith...and the first name, Will?" He's a bright guy and figured it out.

She is a pervert who disguised as youth leader used used her involvement in scouts to fulfil her perverse desires. Perverts often use the Internet as a venue to capture the unsuspecting. I provided the mug shot only to see if matched up with her Facebook account. This would be more or less is her public image. It is what she may or may not reveal in her Facebook account that is of interest.

One would suspect that she sought out this relationship. That she likely approached other boys too. I doubt that if a gay man had been the perpetrator that he would be shown much mercy on these boards either.

Pack,

You'll be surprised how easy it is to find info on someone on the internet. Or if you are having difficulty, go see your local public librarian. One of the projects I did in library school was to find information that we didn't know about someone we do know. Let's just say it can be "interesting," especially if the person is a retired federal employee who worked for a certain agency. WOW. Also when my council was looking for a DE, they actually used social media and the net in the hiring process. Finally my wife, when we first met, did a literature search on me to verify who I am and what I told her was true. Luckily that Worked out ;)

I've actually had this discussion with a former poster on this site over on SC.

This is a sad reminder of how one person's actions (or maybe two people's actions) - can have a very negative effect on a unit or organization. I remind my cubs that they are scouts and to be aware of how they act in public because they carry their reputation, their family's reputation, the unit's reputation and ultimately BSA's reputation with them wherever they go.

As an aside - I certainly understand the council's wish to take quick ation, but it seems odd that the council would release to the press:

"We were shocked and deeply saddened to learn about the allegations against this council volunteer," said Alicia M. Lifrak, the scout executive for the Lewis and Clark Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

"Upon learning of these allegations, we immediately revoked her membership. She will never be allowed to participate in Scouting again," Lifrak said.

Heck- the DA hasn't even formally filed charges and the council has revoked membership and stated to the press that "She will never be allowed to participate in Scouting again." Crap, thought this was the United States, presumption of innocence and all that!

Sounds like she was caught pretty red handed (or with her pants down as the case may be) - but what if she is found not-quilty or additional information comes to light? I would think the council execs would choose their words to the local media a little more careful. Openning yourself to a defamation or slander suit I would think by jumping to an assumption of guilt.

I can see a statement of, "We are shocked to hear of the allegations. The BSA is cooperating fully with the investigation. This volunteer's membership has been suspended pending the outcome of the authority's investigation. We will take appropriate action once all facts come to light. As of now, Ms. XXXX will not be allowed to act in any leadership role or have interation with any BSA youth until the criminal investigation is complete."

Guess YPG is there to CYA. Not only don't do it, but make sure you don't even get accused or have an incident where someone could question your intent, or the local council will just come along and kick you out, so as to show they have a tough stance on 'would-be' abusers.

Dean,

I was thinking the same thing, but then I read the parents came home, heard voices from their son's room and busted in to find the pair in bed, in the act. They called 911 and detained her until the police arrived (her car was in the driveway). Now, even if the ghost of Johnny Cochran returns to get her an Innocent verdict, I think the council is still going to feel the same way - they want no part of her in the program.

I think Dean's initial point on what a difference one person can make is important...

In this case, this Troop and the families involved will never be the same - this incident perpetrated by this trusted Scout Leader will scar them all for years to come. The Troop may recover in 5 or 10 years, but the families... never. This incident will burn and mark how they feel and what they do for the rest of their lives. This must be especially devastating for the other Scout Leaders and the Scouts.

But one person can have an incredible positive impact as well - the Scout Leader that revives a dying Troop or keeps the program going week after week, year after year. Unfortunately, these Leader's don't get the same kind of press as someone that does something so negative as the Leader discussed in this forum, but have positive impact beyond measure, and in this case, will be the one's who save this Troop and it's Scouts. And yet you will never see them on the news - their recognition will come in the hearts and minds of those Scouts who look back with great fondness on their time in the Troop.

Ev and BrentAllen-

I am not suggesting the council do nothing and yes, by the write-up in the article it sounds like she was caught in the act.

However, I do find it disturbing that the council would swoop in and make an on-the-record statement to the media regarding the case before the DA has even filed charges in the matter !!

What if the "victim's" parents have a personal grudge with this person and it comes out in a week that the entire incident was a fabricated story? Stranger stuff has happened. Anyone remember Balloon-boy a few weeks ago? As a general rule, first reports are usually skecthy at best. To base a response to the media on limited information is knee-jerk. Its doubtful this is the case, but the local council could look pretty bad for jumping the gun in their attempt to look tough. Thought BSA had lawyers for handling these types of situations. I'm assuming the council SE vetted this with the legal deptartment first, but from the timing and tone it seems like it was not reviewed prior to release.

I've never done anything inappropriate, I've never had an accusation or known someone who has, hope it never does happen, and try my best not to put myself into situations where my actions with youth could ever be questioned. But, God forbid, I was ever in such a pickle - I would hope the council would withhold judgement long enough for the authorities to complete an investigation BEFORE they make such a statement to the press.

Seems to me, the council's need to appear hard-line on the issue trumps all, including crucifying a volunteer's reputation in the media prior to an investigation being completed. Is this really the level of parinoia we are now operating in? All that needs to be done is an accusation of inappropriate behavoir and its "grab the pitchforks and torches.... the which hunt is on!!".

To me its one thing to to revoke membership pending the outcome of an investigation internally. Its an entirely different matter to be making such statements as a press release to the media. This council needs to be aware WHY organizations and companies state, "We are cooperating fully with the investigation and this volunteer has been removed from any role with youth until the investigation is complete... other than that we have no comment on an ongoing investigation."

They might as well have stated, "We've kicked this bad egg out and we think she's guilty as sin..."

Their statement does nothing to protect youth and only adds fuel to an extremely charged emotional fire.

Dean,

Unfortunately the situation above, minus the comment to media, is SOP for BSA. The word of a youth trumps the adult. Had a good friend have their membership revoked b/c of the accustaion of a known liar. The "scout" in question had a history of running around and misbehavior after hours, and when the leader caught him out after hours on her way from the showerhouse to camp, he accused her of making a pass which led to her dismissal.

I had a similar run in with the "scout" in question and was accused of some things a year earlier. Luckily I had 2 other adults with me and the scouts accompanying him eventually told the truth. And this all happened prior to being reported to the SE.

So yes BSA will revoke a membership on the accusation.