Happy Blasphemy Day

I never brought up Zeus or bowling. That was you, Merlyn.

I know Ed, but if not believing in your god is a belief system, then not believing in Zeus is a belief system, too.

Maybe atheism is a disbelief system!

Why do you keep adding "system"? If you said "atheism is a disbelief," that would be fine. Where does the system come in?

skeptic, what are you babbling about? If I scare you with children's stories of Niflhel, will you embrace Odin? See how ridiculously silly other people's gods are? Yours looks the same to me.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never brought up Zeus or bowling. That was you, Merlyn.

I know Ed, but if not believing in your god is a belief system, then not believing in Zeus is a belief system, too.

In you opinion, Merlyn, not mine. And my God is spelled God not god. If respect is what you seek, respect should be returned.

Your list is weird merely because it's just your own made-up list of what atheists "have to" believe. It's nonsense, atheists don't "have to" believe anything on your list. The only requirement to be an atheist is to not hold a belief in god(s).

(fixed typo)(This message has been edited by Merlyn_LeRoy)

All kinds of things, Ed. I believe the earth is spherical, I believe Buster Keaton, the Firesign Theatre, the Marx Brothers, and Monty Python are funny, I believe that you have a very difficult time understanding simple, straightforward statements, I believe cocktail shrimp taste good with cocktail sauce but not with chocolate cake, I believe O.J. Simpson is a murderer, I believe e^(i*pi) = -1 even though I can't follow all the math, I believe it will snow soon in Minnesota, and I could go on for quite a long way like this, but what's the point? Can't any of you understand the extremely simple concept that I don't believe gods exist? Why is that so difficult for some people to comprehend? Do you have equal difficulty understanding, say, the fact that I don't believe leprechauns exist?

Sherminator, you've made statements about atheists that are wrong. I don't know what you're on about now, I only commented on your statements about what atheists "have to" believe by pointing out that atheists do NOT "have to" believe what you've said they "have to" believe.

If you'd like to offer some evidence of why atheists "have to" believe the things you've claimed, feel free to offer something. I've said atheists don't "have to" believe anything on your laundry list because, to be an atheist, the only requirement is to not believe in gods. None of your "have to" believe statements are intrinsic to atheism. But lately you've only been babbling about MY beliefs, which isn't even relevant.

I have no problem understanding Merlyn. And I believe in a lot of the same things you believe in. It seems your beliefs are tied to things you can actually see & touch & smell. Something you would probably classify as real. And that is where we differ greatly. My beliefs go beyond the senses. Can you understand that?