American Heritage Girls gain momentum

I have a 13 year old daughter who is mightily envious of her 'little' brother getting to go to scout camp and all...

but I would never allow her to join an organization like this (not that I expect that these girls will be doing things like the boys do at scout camp).

sorry.. it just looks to me like another org set up to make a political statement, and IMO using children to further politics is the worst kind of heinous.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting that the AHG seems to have an organizational structure more similar to the BSA with troops being chartered by tax exempt organizations. GSUSA troops tend to be more neighborhood-organized.

I think the GSUSA lost control due to their loose organization and unwillingness to take any stand on moral issues. Troop leaders are more free to push an immoral or amoral agenda than they would under a different organizational structure.

Scouter760 writes:

I think the GSUSA lost control due to their loose organization and unwillingness to take any stand on moral issues.

I think they took a stand on moral issues by not excluding people for having "unacceptable" religious views, and by keeping sexual issues out of the program.

Re: Goats and diaphonous gowns. Check Spiral Scouts.

Re: PP and GSUSA. There have been local level and national level associaitons in the past. However, down here in the South we have to fill out a "Sensitive Topics" permission form for anything more in depth than the circulatory system.

Re: AHG creeps me out. I checked them out as an alternative to GSUSA and found their organization to be more like BSA but they were too jingoistic, "hearth and home," and Christian-right for me.

I just wish BSA could start Girl Guides America or GSUSA would come back to thier senses.

"Well, GW, start a troop!!"

AHG creeps you out? No wonder. You're encouraging middle aged men to start troops. I've already been investigated eight ways from Sunday for security clearnaces and professional and personal licenses but I'm sure I'd still make mothers across the country nervous.