Show me the money

"Common sense; that thing that seems to have gotten lost to far too many of the more recent generations."

I'm not so sure it has anything to do with generations.

Last week a co-worker was telling me that he was so happy that at long last he'd paid off his truck. I was happy for him.

But then he went o to say that he'd looked at a new Harley Davidson motorcycle, the payment was only twenty bucks a month more than what his truck payment was.

A friend of HWMBO visited and was complaining that now her youngest is going to graduate and will soon be off to college she is going to have to buy two new cars. (One for the oldest who has never taken the test!)

She went on to say how broke they were and how hard things were. -Last month the entire family went on a cruise!! Her husband drives about 80 miles a day round trip to work. His old truck is about ready to call it a day. So before the end of the year they will end up buying 3 cars.

I would never tell anyone how or where to spend their hard earned money. Lord knows I have wasted more than my fair share.

Both HWMBO and OJ tell me that I'm cheap! I tell them that I'm frugal!

I am willing to spend money when I have too! I do like what I like and am willing to spend money on things that will last or will save money in the long term.

Eamonn.

Eamonn, I think I would pity those people. Thomas Tusser comes to mind, "a fool and his money are soon parted." In their case they do it voluntarily. Try not to notice the whining.

As for you, my advice is to do something nice for HWMBO and tell OJ to get a job. It will be good for everyone. That said, I think that frugal is the better description. Another person might have mentioned the term, 'tight'. But not me, no sireee! I'd never mention anything like that. ;)

Eamonn,

I hear you. I think that attitude is just sad. On the other hand, I just saw something on TV about "Snuggy Parties"?!?!? Seriously, maybe things AREN'T so bad if people can afford to waste $20-30 on an acrylic blanket with sleeves sewn on to run around drinking alcohol like idiots. Most Americans today have NO idea what real poverty -- or thrift -- is like. Amazing.