Best be careful what we teach

Packsaddle,

I didn't deny the racism that still exists in the South. It does. My main point was that racism is everywhere, but somehow the South gets tarred with it.

Also, I wanted to discuss the original issue which is politics and scouts.

Was the boy in the OP in Scout uniform, or was he just known to the lady as a Boy Scout? The two situations are totally different (although, there is the lack of courtesy thing in either case which is unScoutlike).

(I don't live on Perdido Key, but fairly close, in what locals call the Perdido area).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Beavah's post as well.

I've travelled all over the world and have run into racism in most places I've been to. It certainly has no geographical boundries. It exists here in Boston, in it's well-to-do suburbs and in the neighborhoods of S. Boston as well. I've seen it in China where they truely are incredulous to the fact we may acutally elect a black man to be President. (I suppose that in itself is a racist statement.) I've seen it in S. America where it was more a form of the class conflict Beavah described. I recall working with a colleague from Columbia (the country, not the college.)and who spoke with a rather thick accent. She was truely insulted as I recall when someone asked her if she was Mexican. I've heard folks in my own office here in Cambridge, MA refer to folks in some of our southern offices as "those people" when discussing politics or social issues. I told one woman she was one of the most bigoted people I had ever met as she went on about how "those people" felt about race and various other social issues. Even though I agreed with her position on many of the issues the way she characterized others I found offensive.

As far as the initial topic of the thread goes, I agree Scouts in Uniform should not be political and it may be something that should be included more in the Citizenship Badges.

For Perdidochas, I alway liked Sweet Home Alabama by Skynard.

SA