Death of the First Amendment

Sad to report this from my beloved Commonwealth of Virginia:

A new state policy prohibits material such as T-shirts, buttons and stickers that expressly advocate for a candidate or issue. They arent allowed within 40 feet of a polling place entrance.

Poll workers can ask voters to remove or conceal the material. Election officials will be advised to have material to cover up any political apparel.

That's pretty standard anti-electioneering legislation, and isn't anywhere near the death of the first amendment, because the restrictions are extremely narrow -- only political messages within a certain distance of polling places on days when people vote.

I agree - pretty standard stuff. I've been a poll worker before. We had to go out and measure 50 feet from the edge of the building in different directions, and put up a small flag. Signs couldn't be within the 50 foot range. Also - no cell phones in the polling area. If someone came in with a candidate shirt, they had to turn it inside out, cover it, or leave. Very narrow restrictions, nothing that I would see about 1st admendment violations.

I am not the least bit offended nor influenced by a fellow voter wearing a T-shirt or campaign button. What I do vehemently object to is having to fight my way to the polling place through the gantlet of campaign volunteers shoving leaflets in my face as soon as I park my car.

The majority of states have some law prohibiting campaign material. It differs by state. Sometimes this is interpreted to include hats or buttons ( passive electioneering ). Some states have laws that actually list things that you can't do ( stickers, labels, etc.)

The interpretation of the state laws has long been left up to each county, so it's usually not enforced the same within the state. Each locality can interprete it differently. So one polling station could allow a 'W' button and another could ask you to remove it.

Michigan law says that people cannot campaign for/against anything related to the ballot. So, this year, no T shirts with buds on them (there's a marijuana ballot proposal) and nothing that could be construed as stem cells, or probably petri dishes either (stem cell research ballot proposal). Could you wear a "W" T shirt? Well yes, I guess you could in MI since W is not on the ballot. No McCain or Obama or Barr or McKinney T shirts though.

My mother, in Virginia, took my then three year old to the polls for a local election. The child had on an American Flag T-shirt from Old Navy or something, and the poll workers wouldn't let her bring him into the church hall. Who knew?

I was once a pollwatcher and also an election judge. The chief thing to remember is that election judges are not given, as a rule, very much training in anything other than running the gear. . . meaning that they are suspicious of anything seeming to be political.

And also, frankly, many election judges are older people, retired, who dislike disruption of any kind. So anything unusual is more likely to set them off than it would younger people.

As a result, election judges sometimes commit egregious offenses against individual political rights. The Virginia thing sounds queer: why can not a voter, say a McCain supporter, come in to vote wearing a McCain t-shirt? This rule would, to me, seem a violation of the First Amendment. It would be an entirely different matter if the person was an election judge. I would hope we could remember the First Amendment in America. Given hyper-PCism, I'm afraid for it.