Changes in Philadelphia?

I don't live in Philadelphia, in fact I don't visit Philadelphia very often; maybe a couple of times a year.

Working for the PA Department of Corrections, it seems to me that I deal with, what seems to me to be a lot of young (Under 30) African-American men from the Philadelphia area.

While most claim to not belong to gangs. I'm not sure if they would admit if they did.

A good many are where they are because of their involvement in illegal drug activity.

I was talking with a young man this past weekend. He is from Philadelphia, he has a history of past drug crimes and is in this time for illegal possession of a firearm.

While of course he is just one person and what he said was just his opinion.

He informs me that because the police are doing a much better job in Philadelphia, that there just isn't any money in drugs anymore. He gave up selling drugs and started selling hotdogs!!

If what he says is true he can make about $1,000 a day as a street vendor selling hotdogs, t-shirts and bootlegged movie DVD's.

He claims he was only carrying his gun to protect himself from the "Corner Boys" (Small time drug dealers who sell drugs on the street corners.) Who are having such a hard time selling drugs, due to the more active and better policing that they need the cash.

He said that he did buy the street vendors license and the police seemed willing to turn a blind eye to the bootlegged movies (Some even bought movies from him!!)

I know for a fact that the Philadelphia City Police and the Pennsylvania State Police have lately teamed up on the war on drugs.

While things are getting a lot better, it's going to take some time till there is any real noticeable improvements. Some of these young men have been involved in drug selling since they were nine or ten years old. They became accustomed to having the large amounts of money that drugs brought in and being with the people who do this sort of thing.

I would hope that rather than spend time and effort fighting with the city council about a building that the local Scout Council would work with every available resource to try and bring more and more Scout units into the neighborhoods where Scouts and Scouting could really make a difference.

I know it will be one heck of a task and at times it will seem like an uphill battle.

The crime rate in Philadelphia didn't go up overnight and fixing it is going to take some time.

We as an organization are not going to save the day, but I'm sure we could do a lot to keep some of the kids in Philadelphia from a life of crime.

Meanwhile my hat is off to the Philadelphia City Police and the Pennsylvania State Police for doing what they are doing.

Who knows? Maybe the Philly Cheese Steak will save the day?

Eamonn

I wonder what was the law he violated? I actually have a CWP for Pennsylvania and the ease with which I acquired it led me to believe that PA was friendlier than that for firearms. Maybe it had something to do with his previous convictions (convicted felons possessing firearms?)

But for that kind of money, I'm tempted to quit my day job! Probably meet a better class of people too! :)

"I wonder what was the law he violated? I actually have a CWP for Pennsylvania and the ease with which I acquired it led me to believe that PA was friendlier than that for firearms. Maybe it had something to do with his previous convictions (convicted felons possessing firearms?)"

Federal law prohibits most felons from simply possessing, let alone carrying firearms. Even if his previous charges weren't felonies, drug issues would preclude him from getting a "permit to carrry a firearm" in Pennsylvania.

While I can look up why people are in and what crimes they have been convicted of, most of the time I don't bother (Unless they are giving me a hard time!)

From the conversation I had with this inmate I got the impression that he had been involved with drugs as a small time dealer. (Big dealers do Federal time).

I was looking at a guy a couple of weeks back that had six social security numbers!

Some of the nick names can be very interesting!

Ea.