The "Stimulus" and the "Budget"

Sounds to me like the Senate wants to dilute most of the stimulus, strengthen a little bit (I actually think the plug to Food Stamps might not be a bad thing) and delay working on it until mid-February. Harry Reid said so on NPR (at least the mid-Feb part).

Meanwhile, the annual fantasy of the budget cycle begins today. Administration appears to propose zero increase in domestic non-defense spending, and cuts in Medicare/Medicaid.

Oh, and the war supplemental is off-budget...

What are they putting in the air around the Beltway?

If, and I mean IF, the present package goes through, I dont understand how giving 600 dollars to each tax payer helps long term? For the people who take the money and pay bills, the goods have already been bought. If you use the money to make a single purchase, that compnay's bottom line is better for the day, but then what?

i.e. the rebate, my suggestion is to give the Feds a wake up call by several million taxpayers using those funds to buy firearms and ammo....trust me, the war in Iraq would be over in less then a week, saving taxpayers 12 billion dollars a month in borrowed monies..

If I take my 600 bucks and buy a new washer, I've boosted Sears daily numbers but I've also contributed to the paycheck of the Sears salesman (straight commission in appliances) as well as the paychecks of the guys who made the steel, made the washer, shipped the washer, etc..

What we need to do is make sure that we spend that $600 on products made in the USA like Hondas, water heaters, and washing machines so that the money stays here.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

Consider putting your stimulus package towards better food. Buy more milk for the kids. Eat good quality steaks more often. With Idaho (or Maine or Wisconsin) potatos. Along side a pinot noir from Oregon. Or other wine of your choice from upstate New York, California, or wherever. No problem if someone prefers an import to mix things up. The good old American farmer offers products that rank among the best in the world.