"I can't believe I'm finally a Boy Scout!"

These are the words I heard from my son all day this past Sunday. Our Blue and Gold Banquet was on Saturday and he earned his Arrow of Light and crossed over to Boy Scouts. He was so excited. Sunday, he was reading his Boy Scout Handbook (pack gift to the Scouts crossing over) and he can't wait to go on his first camping trip, because he's sure he's going to catch his first fish, ever! It is so nice to see him this enthusiastic about Scouting.

We had a great turn out at the B&G. We had representative from each of the 3 Troops in town and each Troop got some of our Webelos. I am very proud of the way Jon made his decision about which Troop to join. He waited until he had visited each Troop and then he thought about the positives and negative of each Troop and made his decision in favor of the Troop where he would "have fun and learn lots of stuff". Some of the boys based their decisions on where their friends were going and some even changed their minds at the B&G! Jon made his decision (ignored my two cents worth, to boot) and never looked back. I'm so proud.

We had our first Troop meeting last night and I think today he's feeling a little overwhelmed, because now he's not as excited about his first camping trip. He's having some anxiety about being away without me, but I really want his first camping trip to be a complete break from what he was used to in Cubs. I want him to stop relying on Mom and the best way to do that is for Mom to stay home. I'm sure he'll do fine.

Anyway, I just wanted to brag and say how proud I am. I didn't even cry at the B&G. I really thought I would, because I have been with some of these boys since Tigers, and it is a little touching to see how much they have learned and grown over the years. I sure am proud of them.

scoutmom,

Congrats to your son! It's always nice to see the new Scouts so energetic about the program!

Hey, he will be fine away from you. I think it will be harded on you than him and that's, too! Just encourage him to have fun!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Well written Scoutmom; the anxiety is pretty common and more a sign of the intensity of the feeling rather than being negative or positive.

I'm sure that he will love Boy Scouts. Sometimes the high expectations get a bit dented in the first year and he may feel a bit down in a few months. That is also fairly common but is a phase of adjustment. (ie He may now be dreaming of cooking over an open fire and may not have realised that the washing up can be difficult when he burns the mince etc).

Reminds me of my daughters joining the Troop. Not sure if my son'll make it - he's going through a real 'everythings boring' phase - pls let it pass soon! Hope he gets your son's enthusiasm.

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. Jon is dissappointed that ther is no Troop meeting tonight. (Ash Wednesday) He did decide to go on the camping trip and I think he is lookin forward to it a little more. We went out and bought some new hiking boots and that made him excited.

ozemu,

Jon was in that frame of mind last year. Everything was boring and nothing was fun. I'm glad he snapped out of that. He, like many other boys, struggles with ADHD and sometimes the medication can make him a little depressed. We've made some changes in meds and vitamin supplements and he seems to have a much better attitude these days. It's so nice to see him happy and excited about something other than Game Cube!

I'll let you know how the camping trip goes!