eagle scout ordered to take god out of park project

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Pluto should be removed just for accuracy sake!

I'm with MarkS! If the city is allowing the names of pagan gods to be displayed in this fashion, aren't they endorsing being pagan? They can't do that!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Because the reason for removing it was not its "offensiveness", Ed. As the article quoted the complaint, it was "an infusion of religion into an educational display on public park property." You and George Griesinger are trying to portray it as due to offensiveness, but that isn't the reason it's a problem. The Griesingers can put the same rock on their own lawn, and it would have about the same "offensiveness" factor (minus whatever the difference would be on private vs. public property), but now it would be perfectly legal.

Trans-thread PS to OGE: Yes, you got my position right in the now-closed thread.

Yep, I agree. Let's get rid of these religious names for days, I find them offensive and view them as the governments attempt foist religion on people. Might have to change the names of a few of the months too.

We have a couple ways to do this. Change the names of the days of the week to Firstday, Seconday, Thirday, Fourthday, Fifthday, etc.. We could eliminate the weekday names and month dates and just go with day of the the year. We should also pick a new starting year for the calendar, let's go with the year the Sputnik was launched to commemorate the begining of the space age.

Let's also get rid of the annoying Babylonian 24 hour day, 60 minute hour, and 60 second minute. Wasn't there a TV show where time was expressed in "centons" of some such? I think a decimal approach is much more reasonable than base 12.

If we're going to rename the months, I've always thought that the weeks should have names too - all 52 of them. My idea is to name them for foods so that if someone says they'll be on vacation during, say, Strawberry or Pumpkin, you'll know exactly when.

:)

GW, we have a start on numbering the days of the week,

Two's Day

Trev, can't go with your suggestions, I mean some parts of western Montana worship Strawberry Shortcake as a goddess so that's out. Then, the Exalted Church of Classic Nursey Rhymes reveres Peter Peter the Pumpkin eater as Blessed, so thats out as well.

"GW, we have a start on numbering the days of the week, Two's Day"

Not sure if you're joking here. Tuesday is named for a Germanic or Norse god of war (don't remember which). So to prevent confusion, we really couldn't use Oneday, twoday, or three day because of potential mixups with the old "Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday."