Philly raises scouts rent $199,999/year

Merlyn (a name from the cartoons) is a spoiler and spoilers are usually whiney childrent that no one liked. His whiney responses show that I've hit the mark with my comments about his motivations.

If we want to talk about more discrimination that Mervy should be fighting. How about government run "senior programs" that discriminate based on age. How about government run "women's programs" that discriminate based on sex. More discrimination? Girls have to be allowed to play baseball but boys aren't allowed to play softball. That's discrimination. Both are cases of actual government money being spent on discriminatory programs.

BTW, Im not looking for frogiveness.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our federal government regularly practices age discrimination when applying for a job. The law clearly states that one must be 25 years old to be a congressman, 30 for a senator, and 35 to be president. The same law also says you must not only be a U.S. citizen to be president of the United States, but must have been born in the United States. So our government seems to discriminte based on nationality as well. I haven't seen many posts or heard complaints about these forms of lawful discrimination in Philadelphia, or elsewhere. Perhaps the City of Philadelphia should ban federal elections in any of their buildings until the government permits all adults to apply for these jobs.

I wonder if this is playing into the city's decision: Governor Ed Rendel of Pennsylvania announced plans today for making the Ben Frankiln Parkway more friendly to tourists and pedestrians, and making major changes to the area. It seems the first target on the list is a Best Western hotel to be torn down, just a couple of blocks away from the council headquarters. Still waiting for the news station to post the story online so I can add the link.

Hey GoldWinger,

I happen to agree with Mervyn on most everything he posts. Wanna make some pithy comments about my momma too?

Payback Time...

Sportbike riders:

"Live to ride. Ride to Live."

Goldwing drivers:

"Eat to ride. Ride to eat."

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The expresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stock broker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

What is the difference between a Gold Wing and a logging truck?

1. About 40 pounds and a stuffed animal.

2. Logging trucks don't throw sparks when they go around corners.

3. Logging trucks need all their lights.

4. Logging trucks will usually pull over to let you pass.

5. Logging trucks must stop at weigh stations.

6. Logging trucks don't all look alike.

7. Logging trucks are not as wide.

8. Nobody ever built a three wheel logging truck.

9. You can't get a 400-pound woman on a logging truck.

BrentAllen writes:

Schools CAN NOT discriminate against FCA clubs, per the Equal Access Act.

And nobody has said they can, or do, so I don't know why you're bringing it up.

I did comment on how public schools don't "own and run" FCA clubs as they did cub scout packs, and eolesen gave some vague information on how his school somehow thought they were "evil" without going into any detail, but that's about it.

I don't know what kind of school baseball team you were on, but I've never heard of one like that. Who did you play, if you didn't play other schools?

We played each other. You know, a bunch of kids getting together to play baseball? For fun?

And by the way Brent, you still haven't answered if you think public schools can have baseball teams that exclude Jews. You have no problem repeatedly asserting that public schools can run clubs that exclude atheists, so presumably they could also run clubs that exclude Jews, right?

Right?

Well Gold Winger, you seem to be a prime example of the direction the BSA is going; whine about losing special privileges, and resort to namecalling against people who actually do something to remove those special privileges, instead of trying to defend those (rather indefensible) special privileges. Which helps explain why you're reduced to mere namecalling.

VinceC, sure, the government discriminates in all kinds of ways, some of which I agree with, and some I don't. However, all (or at least most) of those cases are perfectly legal, regardless of what any of us think of the wisdom of them. If you think some of them are unlawful, you can actually get off your duff and do something about it, too.

In contrast, the government is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of religion by the constitution. Public schools can't discriminate on the basis of religion. And I actually did something about it.

Actually, I DID answer your question. I just never heard of a "school team" that never played another school, and didn't wear uniforms with the school name. Sounds more like a PE class or after school program than a "school team." I answered the question based on what I know to be a "school team."

"A school baseball team is much, much different from a Scout group. The baseball team would wear uniforms with the school name on it, and would represent the school in competition against other schools. The baseball team or any other team representing the school, wearing the school name, should not be allowed to discriminate."

No, a school team should not be able to discriminate based on religion or race. The coach does have the right to discriminate, however. He chooses who he wants on the team and cuts the rest. Who knows whether he is discriminating based on factors other than ability - it is very subjective.

The FCA info was posted for eolesen, not you.

Nah, Merlyn I haven't done any namecalling. I just explained your motivation for what you do. You don't seem concerned about other abuses of civil rights, the boy scouts seem to be your special target.

Gern, your agreement with Merlyn is irrelvant. You're not a whiney spoiler like he is.

As for waving, Goldwingers usually wonder why harley riders don't wave. :-) Also, the 400 lb woman are usually seen on harleys and usually with their shirts pulled up. Now try to sleep with that image in your mind.

You can say what you want about Wings it is all the result of envy.

For the record I don't have an espresso machine on my wing. I just have a Mr. Coffee and a toaster oven. Mine's the stripped down version of the Wing.

To try to get this back to the topic of Philly, I agree with the person who asked if anybody has seen the lease terms. I looked for an article that had it with no success. However, what I have read suggests that the lease contains BOTH of the following: that the property was to be used "in perpetuity" for Scouting purposes AND that the lease could be terminated by either party. I would sure like to see the rest of it, but obviously it was the city that decided to change the arrangement. It may have been within its rights under the terms of the lease to do so, but it's obviously contrary to the idea of the lease. Since BSA doesn't seem to be threatening to sue the city, probably the lease does give the city that power. But it takes a very narrow viewpoint to think that BSA suddenly went from being a beneficial service organization that helped the city so much that it deserved a no-rent lease to being no different from any commercial entity that might want to lease city property. This is why a compromise or phased rent increase should have been worked out.

Well Brent, you answered according to erroneous assumptions you made, but again you're refusing to answer my question after I clarified it.

Can a public school run baseball teams that don't wear uniforms, don't play other schools, don't meet during school hours, and don't allow Jews?