Anyone ever hear of the American Civil Rights Union/Scouting Legal Defense Fund?

My father sent me a bunch of literature from the "American Civil Rights Union" soliciting funds for the "Scouting Legal Defense Fund". Anyone know anything about these guys, what they have done, what they do?

I could Google them, and will but I want to know what the forum's experience has been

OGE, while I think those groups (there are many like "Save our Scouts", "Defend Scouting", etc.) intentions are good, I think the best advice is to stick with the real thing, BSA.

I don't know that a donation to those other groups would do nearly as much to help BSA as a donation directly to BSA itself.

If you want to support BSA's legal defense, then donate directly to BSA.

Just my 2

What the BSA says about the groups like this:

Statement from the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America Regarding Solicitations

Scouters and others have been receiving letters from various nonprofit organizations claiming to support the Boy Scouts of America and seeking contributions. Some of these groups refer to Scouting in their name: "Save Our Scouts", or "Scouting Legal Defense Fund", and some do not. All of them claim to be supporting Scouting's legal activities in some fashion, but none of them are authorized by BSA to be seeking funds. Most importantly, no contributions to these groups go directly to Scouting. The Boy Scouts of America does not solicit funds in this manner and you may be assured that no names or addresses are ever sold or given to anyone outside the organization. These groups generally use mailing lists purchased from commercial organizations which compile such lists from magazine subscriptions and other sources.

We regret the confusion and misdirection of contributions that these solicitations cause and we are taking appropriate legal measures to deal with these parties. Under our federal Constitution these groups have the right to solicit funds and to express their support, but they do not have any right to mislead or confuse people.

Some of these organizations have provided support to BSA through "friend-of-the-court-briefs" or published articles, but we would prefer that they did not seek to profit by these activities through soliciting funds in the name of Scouting. Their activities have resulted in confusion and frustration for many of the recipients of these solicitations. Anyone who wishes to support the Boy Scouts of America should make their contributions directly to local Scout Councils. Councils may be listed in your telephone directory under "Boy Scouts of America" or you may find a council by searching the council locator at http://www.scouting.org. Online contributions and additional council information may be found at http://www.give2bsa.org.

My thoughts:

Just as always, one must be careful where you give money -- Many of have been hit up by groups that claim to be supporting firefighters, law enforcement, disease of the week, religious groups and other such groups which tug on your heartstrings or have names very similar to well known national groups. Most of these will only use 10% or less of the funds donated for the cause they promote, the rest for overhead or to the pocket of the promoter. Be careful give only to group you know and check out.