Scouting aims to connect with Muslims

OOOOHH hum.. snurf.. ah..

Oh hey there.. yes I did have a nice nap. Is it spring already?

Each unit's CO has its own "Qualifiers" for joining. Turns out the Brooklyn Jewish Troop that I met at the Jamboree has the same Qualifier as the Catholic Troop from Pittsburgh and the LDS Troops from Utah and the black AME Troop from down the street and the Islamic Center Cub Pack... if you want to ASSOCIATE with THAT type of unit and don't OBJECT to the way THEY do things, then welcome aboard.

They are all Scouts. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Some wear yamulkes.

Some only shake hands right to right.

Some have grape juice at "Scout's Own".

Some kneel.

Some pray silently.

Some turn to a particular point of the compass to pray.

Some have highly educated leaders with lots of initials after their names. Some don't have any leaders in particular. Some take turns being each others leaders....

All of them raise their right hands , hold their first three fingers together and recite "On My Honor..." and I believe them when they say it.

The particular Pack I am now working with has many folks who see the benefit of the Scout Program (modify it a little here...) but don't really see where they fit in the greater scheme. If the boys enjoy it, if they gain friends from their associations (at camp, making crafty things, earning belt loops...) with other units, how can that possibly be a bad thing?

Are we here for Scouting (however you define it) or are we here to make sure that only CERTAIN people are Scouts?

Have we forgotten BP's vision of Scouting being a means to better understanding between people and hence a force for (shudder) world peace?

My present motto is "Less meetings, more program"

All together now, "L M M P !"

YiS

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merlyn,

My tin hat is still on a little tight, you know, living here in northeast Ohio, with it's sudden outbreak of UFO activity and all. The ET's must either like the Rust Belt or the Great Lakes region. Anyway, please refresh my memory on the anthrax attacks. Were they home spun or Muslim spun plots. Honestly I don't remember, the Youngheimers is setting in.

Way to go Gonzo's Gang. If you hadn't stopped it, I'm Bruce Willis would have benn there to step in. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

1st point,

Scout Law.

Frankly, I like the idea of dealing with (insert group here)(i.e. Christians, Catholics, Unitarians, Muslims, Agnostics, Athiests, Anglos, Asian, Hispanic, Nordic, inclusive etcetera here) who ascribe to the Scout Law and Oath.

It really doesn't matter what your background outside of Scouting is - if you are a Scout and acting like one then you shouldn't be a danger to anyone. I think we should be able to agree that that is a good thing. :) And reason to reach out to as many prospective Scouts as possible.

2nd point

Why do we feel we must resort to ad hominem attacks against each other, whom we have so much in common with? And for those who are doing it you know that using loaded words is really the same thing. So why not just be civil and not play the nasty, nasty game? A Scout is ...courteous...

What did B-P say that is relevent to this discussion?

Longing for peace after three years of war, in 1917 B-P wrote "The roots of Scouting have grown among young people of all civilised countries and are developing more each day. It might be thought that if in years to come, a considerable proportion of the future citizens of each nation forms part of this brotherhood, they will be joined by a bond of personal friendship and mutual understanding such as has never existed before, which will help to find a solution to terrible international conflicts."

http://www.scout.org/en/about_scouting/facts_figures/baden_powell/the_man_of_peace

To demonstrate that Scouting could bring young people together to live harmoniously, he organised the first World Scout Jamboree which was held in England in 1920 with 8,000 Scouts from 34 countries. The

highlight of the celebration was the closing ceremony, where B-P launched a challenge on the subject of peace and tolerance:

Brother Scouts, I ask you to make a solemn choice... Differences exist between the people of the world in thought and sentiment, just as they do in language and physique. The war has taught us that if one nation tries to impose its particular will upon others, cruel reaction is bound to follow. The Jamboree has taught us that if we exercise mutual forbearance and give-and-take, then there is sympathy and harmony. If it be your will, let us go forth from here fully determined that we will develop among ourselves and our boys that comradeship, through the world-wide spirit of the Scout Brotherhood so that we may help to develop peace and happiness in the world and good will among men. Brother Scouts, answer me. Will you join in this

endeavour?

The answer was described by historian Tim Jeal, author of Baden-Powell:

The ringing cry of "Yes", which he received on that summer afternoon would be the first of many, after the promotion of international peace became his first priority.

In Aids to Scoutmastership, emphasising the subject of brotherhood, he wrote:

Scouting is a brotherhood - a scheme which in practice, disregards differences of class, creed, country and colour, through the indefinable spirit that pervades it - the spirit of God's gentleman.

He saw the Promise and Law as a way to prevent wars and conflicts:

It is the spirit that matters. Our Scout Law and Promise, when we really put them into practice take away all occasion for wars and strife between nations.

His opening speech at the International Scout Conference in Kandersteg (Switzerland) in 1926, is often quoted:

Peace cannot be secured entirely by commercial interests, military alliances, general disarmament or mutual treaties, unless the spirit for peace is there in the minds and will of the peoples. This is a matter of education.

Baden-Powell died in 1941, deeply disappointed that the Second World War had begun. One of his last writings was:

One thing is essential to general and permanent peace, and that is a total and general change of spirit among the peoples, the change to closer mutual understanding, to subjugation of national prejudices, and the ability to see with the other fellows eye in friendly sympathy.

http://static.scribd.com/docs/7pcfahpkjcay9.swf

What did B-P say that is relevent to this discussion?

Longing for peace after three years of war, in 1917 B-P wrote "The roots of Scouting have grown among young people of all civilised countries and are developing more each day. It might be thought that if in years to come, a considerable proportion of the future citizens of each nation forms part of this brotherhood, they will be joined by a bond of personal friendship and mutual understanding such as has never existed before, which will help to find a solution to terrible international conflicts."

http://www.scout.org/en/about_scouting/facts_figures/baden_powell/the_man_of_peace

To demonstrate that Scouting could bring young people together to live harmoniously, he organised the first World Scout Jamboree which was held in England in 1920 with 8,000 Scouts from 34 countries. The

highlight of the celebration was the closing ceremony, where B-P launched a challenge on the subject of peace and tolerance:

Brother Scouts, I ask you to make a solemn choice... Differences exist between the people of the world in thought and sentiment, just as they do in language and physique. The war has taught us that if one nation tries to impose its particular will upon others, cruel reaction is bound to follow. The Jamboree has taught us that if we exercise mutual forbearance and give-and-take, then there is sympathy and harmony. If it be your will, let us go forth from here fully determined that we will develop among ourselves and our boys that comradeship, through the world-wide spirit of the Scout Brotherhood so that we may help to develop peace and happiness in the world and good will among men. Brother Scouts, answer me. Will you join in this

endeavour?

The answer was described by historian Tim Jeal, author of Baden-Powell:

The ringing cry of "Yes", which he received on that summer afternoon would be the first of many, after the promotion of international peace became his first priority.

In Aids to Scoutmastership, emphasising the subject of brotherhood, he wrote:

Scouting is a brotherhood - a scheme which in practice, disregards differences of class, creed, country and colour, through the indefinable spirit that pervades it - the spirit of God's gentleman.

He saw the Promise and Law as a way to prevent wars and conflicts:

It is the spirit that matters. Our Scout Law and Promise, when we really put them into practice take away all occasion for wars and strife between nations.

His opening speech at the International Scout Conference in Kandersteg (Switzerland) in 1926, is often quoted:

Peace cannot be secured entirely by commercial interests, military alliances, general disarmament or mutual treaties, unless the spirit for peace is there in the minds and will of the peoples. This is a matter of education.

Baden-Powell died in 1941, deeply disappointed that the Second World War had begun. One of his last writings was:

One thing is essential to general and permanent peace, and that is a total and general change of spirit among the peoples, the change to closer mutual understanding, to subjugation of national prejudices, and the ability to see with the other fellows eye in friendly sympathy.

http://static.scribd.com/docs/7pcfahpkjcay9.swf

In a speech to the Public, I dont know when or where, I have just always heard this speech referred to as a Speech to the Public, B-P said:

"...As a school of character therefore, the Scout movement is non-military, non-sectarian, non-political and non-class. On these lines the movement has come in the space of twelve years to be adopted by every civilized country. The brotherhood spirit has thus grown up automatically. It is forming a personal tie not only between the states of the British Commonwealth, but also between the different foreign counties, it may just supply that soul which is needed to make the form of the League of Nations a living force, such as will render war impossible in the future..."

Leave it to a career Military man to want to end war, as he had witnessed first hand its horror and terror. He saw all men comming togehter as brother scouts, unable and unwilling to harm each other in a war.

In a way it sounds funny, but all he was saying was give peace a chance, B-P the first Hippie?