Oregon high court rules for Scouts, against atheist mother

Yah, OGE, that's it, eh? If your community reflects the same feelin' that you do, then it'll hire principals and teachers who tend to make decisions in favor of academic time uber alles. If someone else comes and wants to recruit for a college or hockey or the summer band camp, they get told "no" and should honor the general wishes of the community without makin' a stink.

If yeh live in my community, then school-community partnerships are common and valued, and as a result principals and teachers are hired who may make decisions to use class time in furtherance of those partnerships. If someone comes and wants to make a stink about class time, they get told "no" and should honor the general wishes of the community without makin' a stink.

Simple.

Most of the time, havin' individual members of the public tryin' to micromanage teachers and school leaders isn't helpful. Public schools are goin' to reflect the mores of the local public.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that neither I nor OGE object to recruiting. What I object to is mandatory interruption of classes during the school day for recruiting by private, non-school-related organizations. Those organizations are welcome to recruit. Just do it when it isn't a mandatory interruption of academics.

Now (donning my free-market hat) if a majority of the people in a school district wish to hire professionals who institute such interruptions, and the people support those policies, I suppose that the marketplace of the future will eventually take the appropriate selective action regarding those young persons - and the market forces will have worked the way they should.

(Ed)ited part: Ed, do you believe that mandatory interruptions of the mid-day meal have no effect on acacemics? I suppose we need to know the specifics on how they did this.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

pack,

I agree that holding a recruiting session during class time is not a good thing and shouldn't be allowed.

Lunch is basically the students time during the school day. It is the time they interact with their classmates. So holding a recruiting session during lunch does not interfere with the academic day regardless of the specifics.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

"Now (donning my free-market hat) if a majority of the people in a school district wish to hire professionals who institute such interruptions, and the people support those policies, I suppose that the marketplace of the future will eventually take the appropriate selective action regarding those young persons - and the market forces will have worked the way they should."

Our system of government limits the ability of the majority to have things the way it prefers. While the majority may support interruptions, they still can't be interruptions that violate the rights of the minority, which I think mandatory recruiting sessions by a group with a religious membership requirement would be.

Our system of government limits the ability of the majority to have things the way it prefers. While the majority may support interruptions, they still can't be interruptions that violate the rights of the minority, which I think mandatory recruiting sessions by a group with a religious membership requirement would be.

But neither the Oregon nor da U.S. Supreme Courts agrees with what you think, eh?

The problem is that the majority is paying for things. When you close the school doors on them, you don't pass the next millage. You cut teachers, your schools fall into disrepair.

Livin' in a democracy and accepting a public benefit like education or a government job means that the education or the jobs available are going to reflect the mores of the (majority) public. If that's not for you, then there is private education and private jobs.

And yah, sure, we have some (sensible) protections for the Catholic kid livin' in a Protestant community, or the atheist kid livin' in the Islamic suburb. The schools don't teach religion, or prosyletize. But that doesn't mean if yeh live in the Islamic suburb that you get to tell the entire community it can't announce community events, recruit for youth groups, or express itself in the schools it built and runs.

During school (including lunch): fire drill - OK; reminder of sports tryouts - OK; school band performance - OK; Mrs. Norwood's History Class field trip - OK; Announcement of Health Department innoculations - OK; mandatory assembly to inform them of the Elks Club yard sale - NO; School fall festival - OK; AmWay presentation - NO; Recruiting by Mormon missionaries - NO; Jehovah's Witnesses - NO; Assemblies of Yahweh - NO; Jane's Satanists - NO; Announcement about school glee club - OK; announcement about meeting of school religion club - OK; Announcement about the private discriminatory swim club - NO; Announcement about the school swim team - OK; Good Ole Blues Brothers Boys coming to Bob's Country Bunker - NO; Faculty/student video game tournament - Priceless.

Seems simple enough.