The ACLU finds some time

I can see how your total lack of understanding of God and the Bible would lead to you to your conclusions. I wish I had the time to explain the errors in your logic, but I don't. What I can do is give you a reference to contact who will be able to answer all your questions and hopefully explain them to your satisfaction. Here's the link http://www.equip.org/

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a very convincing cop-out, Ed; Moses with tablets called "commandments" as dictate by god, but you don't have time to explain how they aren't commandments.

Besides, it's clearly another set of tablets as brought by Moses, so how do you know it's not THESE tablets Moses is holding on the supreme court building? You keep saying that the ten commandments are on the supreme court building, but how do you know it isn't this set that has cooking instructions?

How do I know? Because there are no cooking instructions in the Ten Commandments. And they were written by God, not god. Guess you didn't check out the link. Please do. Ask questions at that link. You will get excellent answers. You won't like the answers you get, Merlyn, but they will be accurate.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

>>but punishing children and grandchildren to the third and fourth generation for their fathers'

>>wickedness!"

Well, I'll say one thing for the God portrayed in Exodus; the guy sure holds a grudge :)

So, here's the problem, I guess. Some religious folk hold their beliefs very strongly, and good for them. But, fact is, the Bible, as a book, has any number of contradictions and statements that are open to wide variety of interpretations. People who believe the writings in the Bible have created a certain interpretation for themselves, and they have built a very clever wall around those beliefs that's immune to any rational argument. However, it's a belief system, and as such, it doesn't really need to fulfill any rules of rational discussion. It is what they want it to be.

Point is, people see what they want to see when they read the Bible. I like to think that if there is Higher Being out there someplace, he's a lot more like George Burns than the one who's portrayed in some areas of the Bible.

I wonder what the ACLU sees when they look at the Bible?(This message has been edited by Prairie_Scouter to be less annoying than usual :))(This message has been edited by Prairie_Scouter)

I did look at the web site you linked to, Ed. It was very interesting.

However, since you were quick to grill BadenP on another thread when he mentioned that he had a formal education in theology, I notice one bit of information greatly lacking on the Equip web site.

What are Mr. Hanegraaff's credentials to present his interpretations of the Bible? Where did he attend theology school? What noted scripture scholars has he study with?

Ed, you still haven't said why you "know" that the tablets Moses is holding are those particular ones; exodus 34 describes Moses as making a new set of tablets, so it's just as reasonable to assume the tablets he's holding are THESE tablets. I mean, he broke the first ones, right?

Merlyn

I don't understand why you are grilling ED about the 10 Commandments on the Supreme Court, you should instead ask the artist as to what is being represented, for the answer you want is not a biblical one. I know how much you enjoy baiting ED and anyone else who disagrees with you.

Ed

I assume you received my pm as to my credentials and since there was no reply you were satisfied. For the record I have a masters degree in theology from Notre Dame and a doctorate in theology from Harvard.

Brian,

You answered your own question, if you cared to look.

"The LORD said to Moses, "Cut two stone tablets like the former, that I may write on them the commandments which were on the former tablets that you broke."

WHICH WERE ON THE FORMER TABLETS THAT YOU BROKE

"So Moses stayed there with the LORD for forty days and forty nights, without eating any food or drinking any water, and he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."

Now maybe you count all the items in the dialogue and come up with 10. If so, please list and number them.

I see the 10 commandments (the ones 99% of us agree are the 10 commandments) as part of the covenant, and the other dialogue is a verbal covenant. I wasn't there, you know.

Baden,

Yup I got your PM. Sorry I didn't respond. I'm satisfied.

Brent,

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Now the Ten Commandments are depicted on one of the friezes in the SCOTUS building. They are being held by Moses. Why, Merlyn, have you not demanded that not be removed?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

BrentAllen writes:

Now maybe you count all the items in the dialogue and come up with 10. If so, please list and number them.

You first; Jews, Catholics and Protestants all have different lists of what the 10 commandments are. After all, neither list is numbered or anything like that.

Ed writes:

Now the Ten Commandments are depicted on one of the friezes in the SCOTUS building.

Again, Ed, you seem to know what rules those blank tablets have, but you offer no reason for it.

They are being held by Moses. Why, Merlyn, have you not demanded that not be removed?

Because it's actually part of group of various lawgivers through history, unlike most of the 10 commandments displays erected by people trying to push their particular religious views. When was the last time you heard of a city council putting up a display of the code of Hammurabi? Mohammad is also depicted holding the koran, but you only hear the religious right talking about the 10 commandments being in the supreme court (even though they're blank).

Brian Westley,

The wording is a little different and the order changed, but the 10 commandments are basically the same. If there isn't some kind of numbering, how did they all arrive at "10"?

I'm curious - as an atheist, what do you care what the 10 commandments say? It's all just mythology, right?

Merlyn,

So as long as the Ten Commandments are among a group of other historical laws it OK to display them in or on a government building? So then all Roy Moore needed to do was place a copy of the Constitution next to the Ten Commandments & that would be OK?

Ed Mori

Troop 1