Boys' Life Bible Stories?

Wrong yet again, Ed.

Another logical fallacy.

"I have no proof" does not follow from "I refuse to air proof in a public forum".

If I didn't have proof that satisfied me, I'd probably still be a Christian, wouldn't I. And a Biblical literalist, to boot.

Sorry, Ed, try your taunts somewhere else. They don't fly with me.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Ed, please remember your own words--

"I don't have the answers but dismissing something as myth simply because it seems impossible is very narrow thinking."--

next time that you dismiss the beliefs of others as myth.

ED

Are you trying to bait Dan the way you did a certain other former poster in here, I hope not.

The Bible is a matter of and a book of faith, not of science or history, even though it contains some elements of both. Top Christian theologians have published that belief for many years, the seven days of creation were not literal 24hr days any logical and educated person understands that. God's timeframe is not the same as our time. You may believe whatever you want that is your right, but others also have that same right. The Old Testament are a series of oral stories passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years before they were even written down. Just as Jesus used parables to teach so did the ancient Israelites. The stories of Jonah and Job are perfect examples, they are stories of being strong in your beliefs. Do you realistically think that God would bargain with Satan to torture poor Job to that degree to test his faith? God doesn't ever bargain the story is a parable.

BadenP,

I don't bait. God never made a deal with the devil to torture Job. What God did was take His protection away from Job. I suggest you read some narratives about the OT. You will really be surprised with what you will find. And the OT is fact. You might not believe it and that's OK.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

ED

I suggest you do some more reading my friend, I have two graduate degrees in theology and have studied with some of the most noted scripture scholars alive today. The OT does indeed contain facts but it also contains fictional stories to teach about how to live our lives like Jesus' parables they are not to be taken literally, the story of Job is one. By the way ed both Jewish and Christian Bible scholars agree with this, so whatever you have been reading I would suggest you carefully check their credentials, or more likely their lack of credentials before you insist their interpretations are accurate. There is a lot of nonsense published by so called Christian writers with no formal education in theology or scriptures and most of it has no credibilty or accuracy. Their writings show their complete lack of understanding about scriptures, their origins, let alone how to interpret them correctly. To sum up ED would you go in for surgery from someone who never went to medical school, of course not, so why would you believe someone about the Bible who has little or no formal education with it.

BadenP, what you say is so true.

I have a very diverse family (religious wise). My sister is a missionary in North Africa, my niece (her daughter) and her husband are starting a born again church in Minnesota and my brother is in seminary after retiring from his career as a corporate executive. Only my brother has had a truly formal education in religion. The rest seem to know a lot about it, but not the in-depth, comparative education he is receiving. The former tend to be slogan Christians, the latter, analytical Christians.

I have to agree with Baden and Gern, there are a lot of Christians who claim to have read the Bible, but few of them really understand it or can interpret it accurately. I am no thelogian but my pastor has pointed out many times stories in the Bible which are indeed fictional but were included to teach by example, Job was one of those.

I have two graduate degrees in theology and have studied with some of the most noted scripture scholars alive today.

Where are these degrees from and who are these noted scripture scholars?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Well, Good Morning, Ed :)

Yeah, I guess you're right about that. At some point, it does become a matter of the legitimacy of the source of the information. But, I suspect that there are those who would consider anyone putting forth beliefs contrary to their own to be unbelievable.