Gay-Friendly God Smites Boy Scouts

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good summer for Scouting - if God is gay, why was an eight year old girl killed at a BOy Scout camp in New Jersey recently?

Come on fellas, the article is purely satire and should not be viewed as BSA bashing. Are we that humor impaired?

OGE says:

OK, I can accept the gays, lawyers and the ACLU, but not the accordian player

and Ed says:

Leave the accordion, take the canoli.

Don't Shoot, I'm Only the ACLU Accordion Player.

You Can tune a Lawyer But You Can't Tune an Accordion.

I got millions of 'em!

Two can play at this game, Ed. With apologies to the late Warren Zevon:

Send lawyers, gays and accordians

Or, to move from a title to a lyric:

Send lawyers, gays and money,

The accordian has hit the fan...

So we agree that the article was satire (regardless of ones view of how humorous or not the article was?

If so, who or what does the satire attack or bash? IMO, it pokes fun at those who somehow feel God "blesses" or favors their organization because they are "right" or more moral than others. The hot button issues of God (religion), gays, and politics (Bush/Iraq) are trotted out. However, being an equal opportunity satire it pokes fun at gays (see YMCA, Will & Grace, etc.) too.

Now, a satire I would like to see is one about Jenna and Barbara enlisting to go do their duty to fight terrorism.

"Humorous" or not, the article is very clearly an attack on the BSA.

But given its distasteful content, I'm not surprised that others who oppose BSA policies spin the article in such a way as to distance themselves from it.

Fred,

Your purpose for posting this article is truly misled. I don't see how this offers any insight into BSA's opponents. I could go to a dozen hate sites, find articles that scream that all gays should be rounded up and executed because they defy God's plan. These sites would also offer up as evidence that AIDS is a biblical plague sent down to cleanse the Earth of the gay infection. But should I post such articles and say, "This is to remind us what the supporters of BSA's membership policy think"? Of course not. And anyone who does try to post such trash will be ripped apart by this forum.

Are you really paranoid that people out there will start believing God has chosen to smite scouting?

I think there's still general confusion as to why this ridiculous article was deemed relevant.

Z: I could always respond that if one doesn't like the post, one is perfectly free to skip it. But that would be too easy a cop-out.

Had the article been written by Hans Zeiger as a "satire" praising the BSA and condemning gays, atheists, liberals, etc., it would certainly have been held up as a typical example of hate-speech by the religious right.

So obviously, bashing BSA and its conservative policies is OK, because its just "satire", but bashing gays, atheists and liberals is wrong because that's hate-speech, right?

Bringing out that dichotomy through the posts that reflect the truth of it, is one of the reasons I posted the article.