Adult leaders: physically fit?

FB, I agree with you.

I'm an overweight male myself, which is why I've turned down offers to be a CM and an SM -- I don't think I would set the best example to the boys in my charge, as someone who is more physically fit.

So I tend to do more "background" jobs like CC, ACM, Asst WDL, and Unit Commissioner. But I absolutely agree with you that our adult leaders (myself included) should be more physically fit.

OTOH, do you turn down a volunteer who could stand to lose a few pounds? If your unit suffers as a result, are we really doing what's best for the boys?

I too am overweight, and it's a fairly new thing for me, and what a battle. I did take the role of CM, though I wrestled with that for this very reason. However, since fitness is important, I was actively working on this as I encouraged the boys to do so as well. A group of moms, me included, began walking 2-3 miles per day every day. One lost a lot of weight; I gained. I took up hiking again. I gained more. I made diet changes. I still gained. So, though it would be good to lose and it's important to me, do we measure fitness by the waistline or by the way in which a person lives? Judging by appearance, I am not fit, and I don't need anyone to tell me--the mirror does that everyday. I'm curious to see what others have to say on this too.

Great Oklahoma Sunday All

Interesting topic. I wrote about this lastyear after our WB Course. I didn't post it because I wasn't sure how to introduce it to my friends on the forum.

I was walking behind most of the participants on one of our warmer Oklahoma WB days as we had to hike about 100 yards to an event. Just a short stroll really, but it was very clear that this was a difficult hike for many of these wonderful scouters. I counted well over half the class that was clearly over weight.

But it wasn't just that. At least a third or more smoked. I remember at least half our staff had to take several smoke breaks during our course training sessions.

Should we take better care of ourselves as role models? Just a few years ago one popular adult in our District went to a meeting at Philmont. He was overweight, but it was not a big deal because he was just attendig a two day meeting, no activities. During a lunch break some of the adults took a short stroll and this scouter fell over dead from a heart attack. Our district took his loss pretty hard.

Of course you don't have to be over weight to have problems. One adult in our troop had a heart attack on our biking campout. He lived only because there was an EMT crew nearby for a local mountain biking race.

We had another adult who was clearly out of shape for our Northern Tier trek. He was stubborn and ignored all our request to get in shape. He just couldn't see how canoeing would be that hard. He had a terrible time that really impacted the crew. He was on a Philmont crew the next year with a promise to get in better shape. He didn't finish the trek because another boy was hurt. He later told me he wouldn't have made it anyway and use the boy as an excuss to quit. The boys knew before the trek he was going to be a problem for the crew. As a role model, he failed our scouts. Lucky for us we put three adults on the crew.

Just last week I was honored to be asked to bead a few of the Beavers in last years WB course. Two of the smokers I was talking bragged how they had quit because of a new Oklahoma smoking tax. But the conversation led into how to get rid of that 30 lbs. they gained.

I guess all of this really got me thinking after the WB course. I'm in pretty good shape, but I've worked out at least three times week for the last 25 years. Is it fair for me to suggest that maybe National should take a more serious look at this subject, I don't know?

I was thinking about you laurie. One thing is for sure, boys very much respect those who walk the walk and your actions do just that. I'm sure your scouts admire you for the example you set. Not just now, but also later in their lives.

Barry

I applaud anyone who is trying their best to stay or get in good physical condition. It's better for your overall health, and if nothing else, makes it more likely that you'll keep up with the Scouts on that next hike! :-)

I find a certain amount irony in this topic. There are many, many Scouters who will go "to the wall" about issues of morals in Scouting, and others who will argue ad infinitum about how you can't be selective in which rules you follow and which you don't. And yet, nobody seems to ever bring up this part of Scouting. Is "physically strong" any less important than "morally straight" or "mentally awake", I wonder?

I am not over weight, in fact I have people telling me that I could do with a few extra pounds.

I do have a bad back, which hopefully is on the mend.

I know that I'm not as fit as I used to be. I did in my younger days swim the mile and now have a difficult time making Red, White and Blue. I used to play rugby and run cross country, now I watch soccer and walk with Rory. We cover about four or five miles a day. Her That Must Be Obeyed, thinks that I'm nuts for spending money on a new internal frame pack. I will use it sometime this summer, I have it as a personal goal.

I do smoke cigarettes so I don't think I will be doing any cross country running again.

As for being mentally awake I will think about it!!

Eamonn

I am not over weight. I usually work out 5 times a week and do a few triathlons and some running races every year.

I would want a leader to be in good shape and I would not turn down a volunteer but would steer them as you have self segregated into tasks more agreeable to their level of fitness.

Its Me,

That's a good point. Whenever we set up hike or some other very physical activity, we always make a point of throwing in some lighthearted comment alluding to the idea that the leaders are MOST CERTAINLY invited to participate. :-)

Eamonn,

I'm a long time member of the "bad back club". Comes and goes, and as I'm getting older (in body, at least :-)), it's beginning to threaten my ability to camp with the Scouts. I've gone to extra pads under my sleeping bag for now. My own Her Who Must Be Obeyed will see me come limping home from some Troop meeting and will ask, "So, hon, been playing with the Scouts again?". "Yep!" That's usually the time she starts to question my own ability to be "mentally awake". :-)

To answer another comment in the post initiating this topic, no, I wouldn't turn away a leader who isn't physically fit. Scout outings seem to sort of "filter out" the parents who either don't enjoy the outdoors or are just not physically up to the activity. Of those with a desire to help out, our more active parents tend to become ASMs, the less active become Committee members, so they all have opportunities to participate.

Fred asks, "...do you turn down a volunteer..."?????

I can't see a reason to turn down anyone. I don't care if he's fat or skinny, or if he's a she. I don't care if he has a son in the unit (remember that thread?), if he's a Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist, or non-theist. I don't care if he's a Log-Cabin Republican. I feel there is role in our troop for all volunteers.

Maybe that fellow with the alcohol problem isn't the one to drive on a campout, but he's great at teaching knots. Maybe that overweight guy isn't cut out for a Philmont trek, but he'd be a terrific webmaster. Maybe BSA won't accept registration from that lesbian single mom, but she is nonetheless marvelous at coordinating fundraisers. Maybe BSA won't let that non-theist dad wear a uniform anymore (with his Eagle knot) but he is still the best outdoorsman you've seen.

As long as we scrupulously follow two-deep leadership and the G2SS, I think every adult has something of value to offer our Scouts.

In the USA we tend to confuse being physically fit with being slim. There are many trim individuals whole are in very poor physical shape and some rotund individuals in excellent shape. Look at resting heart rate, cardiovascular ability, lean muscle mass, etc.

California schools use aerobic fitness, body composition, abdominal strength, trunk extension strength, upper body strength, and flexibility as indicators of physical fitness.

I remember at Philmont last year I brought up the idea, similar to what Prairie Scouter mentioned, that everyone seemed to be judgmental about the "morally straight" with no emphasis on "physically strong." I got an earful from another Scouter that believed the "physically strong" phrase was literally just that - strength alone. In his eyes, it had nothing to do with physical fitness per se. Amazing.(This message has been edited by acco40)

I think by any measure, I would be considered "out of shape" (you ex-jocks out there know that term).

I'm not saying all Scout leaders should be able to handle a Philmont trek, but we should be trying to set a good example for the kids.

I think there are better examples of leaders being "Physically Strong" than me, so I'm not afraid to stay in the background.

But I do catch grief from my 11-year old son everytime we recite the the Scout Oath!

I mentioned this once in the Uniforms forum--that we should be concerned not only with the proper uniform, but with how the contents of the uniform reflect on it. In this case, though, I think the best example a leader could set would be trying to change his level of fitness. This is one of my current motivations for trying to lose weight and get into better shape, although I must confess that survival is the predominant motive.

In SM conferences, I like to find out what a Scout thinks "physically strong" means to him. Rarely does a candidate think that "phyically strong" equates to being "muscular". Generally, we agree that it means showing a respect for one's body, and includes eating right, getting enough sleep, avoiding poisons like tobacco, alcohol, drugs, as well as getting exercise.

• 4 months later...

Interesting topic, as this has been a pet peeve of mine since attending a training at Philmont several years ago. Over 3/4 of the adults in attendance were clearly over weight and out of shape! At the time, I had just broken my knee and was unable to walk very far myself, but I was determined not to become another "well-rounded" scouter. I took up cycling, doing several century (100 mile) rides and returned to Philmont a year later with my son to do a trek. Never-the-less, my entire family struggles with weight, so I can empathize with anyone who has a weight problem. But I do agree that adult leaders need to set an example for living up to the scout oath and law, and that includes being "physically strong". We may not all look like Hollywood models, but we should be able to keep up with the boys on any activity we participate in. Improper thoughts are easy to hide; a flabby body is harder to conceal.

I have come down with arthritis in every joint from my hips south. Yes, I am on medication to "control" the pain and reduce swelling. Ha! There are those mornings when my becoming vertical is very much in doubt. Sitting down is more of a controlled crash. As a result of my inability to move about, I have put on a lot of weight regardless of what I eat or don't eat. Thank goodness for my cane! My size has never been questioned by anyone in the troop, district of O.A. chapter. And I make troop campouts, too.

My cane made it possible for me to complete the classroom and camping portion of my WB class. Ol' Mr. Cane deserves a set of beads as well.

This has given me a new perspective on "Do Your Best".

G.B.