By TIM MCGLONE , The Virginian-Pilot

April 19, 2005

When James Edge last spoke with his son, Capt. James C. Edge, he gave the 31-year-old Marine some fatherly advice about keeping his head low in Iraq.

He was telling me that everything was going fine. He hadnt lost anyone in his battalion, Edge, a Navy retiree, said Monday.

Five days later, on April 15, two Marines showed up at his Knotts Island home with the grim news: Capt. Edge had been killed in a gun battle in Ramadi, a city about 60 miles west of Baghdad along the Euphrates River.

The Department of Defense announced Edges death Monday, giving little information other than that he was hit by enemy small-arms fire during combat operations. It was his second tour in Iraq.

Ramadi has been one of the most violent cities recently, with near-daily attacks on U.S. and Iraqi forces. Three American soldiers were killed there in a mortar attack over the weekend.

Edge, a former Eagle Scout from Virginia Beach and a 1992 graduate of Green Run High School, leaves behind his wife, Krissy, and two daughters, ages 3 and 6.

Family members had called him Jamie since he was a boy. His twin brother, William, is known as Billy . The youngest of the three Edge boys is Tommy.

It seemed, according to the Edge family, that Jamies years in the Boy Scouts had prepared him for the Marines. He earned his Eagle Scout badge in high school.

That did have a lot to do with building his character and being organized, his father said.

Tim Cherry, Troop 486 adviser, remembers Edge as a personable, athletic boy.

He really was a great kid, he said.

At Green Run High School, Edge played football and soccer and wrestled. He was also in the Naval Junior ROTC.

Teachers said Edge was bubbly, always with a smile, always a neat kid, always pleasant, said Elizabeth Norton, a Green Run math teacher.

If you asked him to do something, he wanted to do things the right way, added Richard Joyner, a Green Run government teacher.

Edge joined the Marine Corps Reserves in 1993 before entering Virginia Military Institute. He spent summers at Officer Candidate School and graduated a second lieutenant in 1996 with a bachelors degree in international studies.

He had been in many skirmishes while serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom with the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division from Camp Pendleton.

In April 2004, Edge told The Associated Press that he and a group of Marines came under attack by insurgents in Fallujah. Four Marines were killed during two days of fighting.

Edge also was involved that month in uprooting insurgents hiding in a Fallujah mosque, according to news stories.

His role in the war consisted of more than fighting. He acted as a liaison to help arrange a cease-fire agreement with those same insurgents, it was reported.

After a few months of leave, which Edge spent with his wife and children in California, he returned to Iraq, this time with II Marine Expeditionary Force. His father said his son had reported no losses in his battalion during his second tour.

He was in very good spirits, his father said.

James Edge said his son always spoke proudly of his service and never questioned the reason for the war.

He would say, 'This is for a good cause. This is why were there, his father said. He was very focused on what his mission was.

Younger brother Tommy Edge released a statement from the family saying, Jamie died serving his country and protecting our freedom.

He was a loving husband and father, a devoted son and brother. He was the best of the best our country had to offer. We need to remember his sacrifice and honor his memory, the statement said. He leaves a legacy of fierce love of God and country, of the Corps and of his family.

Tommy Edge said his brother represents the epitome of what a man should be.

He has been my teacher and role model, and I have learned so much from his life, he said. Even in death, he continues to be a source of support and inspiration in my life.

When asked if he considers his son a hero, James Edge said he considers all the service members in Iraq and Afghanistan to be heroes.

I am very proud of him, he said. Later, in an e-mail, he added: I love my son and wish all the other fathers in America could experience a son like Jamie I did and I am blessed.

Funeral preparations were incomplete Monday, but a service will be held at the Oceana chapel, the family said.

Edge becomes the 16th service member either from Hampton Roads or based here to die in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.

Thank you, Scoutldr.

And, Thank You, Capt. Edge.

Though not all Eagles, and often without a forum member to speak for their remembrance, we can be sure that MANY of our soldiers were Scouts.

One of the humbling parts of our work is that we often succeed. Helping boys grow into the kind of men who will give everything for others, is what we do; it's who we are; it's who we help them to become -- :(:)

"Two!"(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Regardless of our political opinions, we owe our soldiers, marines, airmen and seamen the best equipment, intelligence, training and support we can possibly provide.

This conflict deeply saddens me.