Witchcraft in Scouting

Packsaddle,

It seems that you're stating, as fact, that witchcraft, magic, and monsters don't exist? Did I read that correctly? I'm not saying that they DO exist, but I have no reason to believe that they don't, either. There are plenty of strange things in this world.

scoutldr,

In an earlier post you said that "BSA will never admit that Satanism and Atheism are the same thing". That's probably a good thing, because they're not the same thing.

Unless you can objectively document that this kid is doing something contrary to BSA policy, you might consider just leaving him alone. As others have noted, kids will say things just to get a rise out of people. Now, if he said he was going to kill someone, in today's world you unfortunately have to take that at face value and report it, but a kid saying he's a Satanist? I don't know; I think I'd want to be really sure before I jeopardize his Scout career. If you're concerned about what he might do at camp, consider talking to him about his plans, and suggest that the other Scouts may not understand what he's doing; besides, practice of any religious practices unique to any particular religion would be contrary to the non-sectarian view of Scouting, wouldn't it?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened here is, not one of your remembered your training. In situations of this magnitude and sensitivity we, as leaders cannot advise or analyze the situation with the professionalism required. Unless you are a paid professional with extensive training, and I do not know if any of you are, you are not qualified to pass judgment on the boy, the situation, or me.

So why did you pose the question here? You don't say that you're qualified, and you don't appear to be. You have pointed out that others are not qualified to judge, yet you have passed judgement on the Eagle board of review, the posters who have responded, the BSA in general, the boy, and his family. I haven't seen where you or the boy have been judged, though there have been attempts to get more info from you as what you posted was not consistent or specific enough to provide help to you. Quite frankly, it doesn't seem that you are truly seeking help, but rather just looking for a way to judge others here. Should this situation be true and there be a young man involved in what you call the dark arts, then my hope is that someone qualified to help him will. If you knew the SE could help, it's too bad you didn't just call him/her, for now, if Marge is your real name, it would be a real shame for this young man to come across this post and learn how he and his family have been discussed.

"In situations of this magnitude and sensitivity we, as leaders cannot advise or analyze the situation with the professionalism required. Unless you are a paid professional with extensive training, and I do not know if any of you are, you are not qualified to pass judgment on the boy, the situation, or me."

And what exactly makes YOU qualified to pass judgement on this boy? Ar you a paid professional (Psychologist or Psychiatrist)? Are you even a registered leader in this boy's Troop? One on one conversations with youth are expressly forbidden as laid out in BSA Youth Protection policies.

How, exactly, do you KNOW this boy is practicing Satanism? Because he tells you so? Have you ever stopped to consider that he is telling you this because you are driving him nuts trying to save his soul every time he runs into you??? In other words, he might very well be LYING to you. Not very Scout-like granted, but VERY teenager-like!

I can't help but feel that you have another agenda going on here. Either you are using this boy or you are using this forum, or perhaps both.

Marge,

You should be commended for your care and concern for this young man. Too often today, we turn our backs on other people's problems out of a sense of 'minding your own business' or 'not wanting to offend'. If he is indeed worshipping Satan, then he needs help. Unfortunately, that help will only come if the scout himself (and his parents) choose to seek it. This young man needs the professional help that only a trained counselor/clergyman can provide. The BSA will be of no help for this boy as it concerns his 'religious' practices. Your prayers and demonstrations of concern are what you can best offer him.

Your concern seems to relate primarily to this boy's attendance at summer camp and his possible sharing of his practice of devil-worshipping with other scouts. Has this occurred in the past? If yes, did the Troop leadership take any action? If no, why would you think it would occur now?

"Reverent - disrespect of others religious beliefs"

Marge, did you sign this contract yourself, and if so, did you forget about the part quoted above?

I hope this doesn't offend you, but it's been my experience that when people appear, post a controversial question, and then later post that they're done posting on the topic, it means that they were "trolling" for a particular response, and are upset when they don't get it. I guess you wanted us to all be shocked and horrified by the very idea that BSA might recognize Satanism as a "religion." Well, we aren't--at least, I'm not. BSA recognizes lots of false religions (as well as the one true one, of course). You haven't said anything to suggest that this boy has behaved in any morally improper way, or that he has shown disrespect to anybody else's religion.

Also, he may not be a Satanist--he may be a Gnostic.

Sort of on topic, I'll share with everyone my favorite campfire story that has to do with life, satan, hell, and everything:

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/stories/John_the_Blacksmith.htm

This isn't quite the version I tell though.

In mine I add: old John is given a hot cinder by satan and told to take that and go make his own hell. And that explains the mysterious lights people say they've seen wandering these mountains. It's Old John wandering around with that hot cinder, still looking for that place.

This last twist, I have later learned, borrows from the original Celtic version of the story and embellishes it with local folklore (Brown Mountain Lights).

http://www.ibiblio.org/ghosts/bmtn.html

Hope you like it, the boys do especially the younger ones.