Improving Webelos to Scout Transition

Bob,

I too want to congratulate you on your leading thread post. I have a foot in both the Webelos program (den leader) and atthe troop level (Scoutmaster) so I consider myself unbiased in the Pack vs. Troop debate.

When the boys in the Webelos den receive their Arrow of Light, the leaders ARE DONE (assuming that they earn it at the end of their Cub Scout experience). Remember, part of the AOL requirements are to experience an outdoor outing with a troop, attend a troop meeting, fill out a Boy Scout application, have a Scoutmaster Conference, etc. It is not the Webelos leaders job to sustain a troop with new boys. The Cub Scout program and the Boy Scout program are different.

I am proud that the majority of the boys in my den are continuing on to Boy Scouts. I did not steer them to the troop I'm involved in. We visited multiple troops.

The adult leaders of a troop need to realize that most of the boys do not see any real advantage of adding new boys. From thier perspective, it is just a bunch of "kids" who have to learn the basics. And yes, most troops do a lousy job of retention as compared to Packs but they also have a more difficult task.

Well I digress, but I just want to give thanks to BW again for a wonderful post which I think really hit the nail on the head.

OOOOOOHHHH! A subject close to my heart! My son is a Second year Webelos and we are getting ready for cross over (Feb 22). His Den visited the three troops in town (yes, we are lucky!) and he made his decision. He picked a different Troop from the one I would have chosen, but it's his decision. 2 of the troops presented well run, boy run meetings and got our guys involved right away. The other troop consisted of, "OK you boys sit on the floor and I'll tell you about our up coming camping trip". A big bore to the Webelos and to my mind the bigger problem was that it was not boy-run.

And let me tell you, it was like pulling teet to arrange these troop visits! Lots of phone calls and "I'll get back to you". We are a small pack but this den is large (13 boys). The troop we "feed" hasn't had a boy from us in 2 years. I would have expected that Scoutmaster to be knocking our door down last year when these boys became First year Webelos! A good part of our Pack Leadership will be leaving when this den crosses over, and NOW the Scoutmaster is concerned about the Pack. Hello ---- where where you for the last two years???

Anyway, can you tell I'm a little frustrated?? My son has made his decision and I'm happy if he's happy. I'm looking forward to him crossing over and me taking a big step back. I didn't thins it was possible, but I'm burned out on this Scouting stuff. I'm looking forward to a break, but I don't intend to be completely un-involved. I'm just taking a big breather. I'll probably jump back in with both feet come spring!

Scoutmom,

I'm glad that things worked out for you and your son. Our Troop hasn't had Webelos graduates in four years. Our Troop leadership has tried to work with the Pack leadership, encouraging training, program assistance, recruiting their own leadership, but this one person drove the Pack into the ground. Our COR is trying to reorganize, and the Troop again is offering its assistance. It's going to be a long road, and meanwhile our Troop is actively recruiting from 6 other nearby Packs, but it appears that they all have strong relationships with other Troops. I recognize that that's a good thing. We'll survive. It's just that I'm a bit jealous when I hear everybody talking about graduations, ceremonies, Webelos retention, visiting Troops, etc.. And the beat goes on.

sst3rd

The key to successful Webelos transition is a good working relationship with the Pack. Give the Pack a copy of your Troop calendar. Include the Webelos in any campout you can. Get together with the Cubmaster for coffee to discus things. Be a part of the Pack Blue & Gold. Plan the crossover for the 2nd year Webelos. Supply the Pack with Den Chiefs.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

I think it is the responsibility of the pack to ensure the transition of as many scouts as possible to troops.

I think it is the responsibility of the troop to ensure that as many scouts as possible are recruited into troops.

I think it is the responsibility of the District to ensure that these two are trained to do that job and to provide any help possible.

Now with that said, in the troop, whos responsibility is it? Is it the SPL's job to make sure it gets done? Is it the Scoutmasters job? Is it the committees job?

While I wait for the debate on that one, I will suggest that Scoutmasters should make themselves available (and bring ASM's with them when ever possible) for Cub Scout uniform inspections. (an impartial judge) To be present, and maybe a speaker at B&G banquets. Maybe to drop in on a family campout and teach a skill to the Webs. If that were to happen, the majority of families* would be very comfortable with that person and think that IS their Scoutmaster and move right into that troop.

* majority of families defined as the vast majority of untrained, won't read nothing or do much more than drop off and pick up their kid. Based on standard parental participation. Your mileage may vary ;)

Good thoughts imascouter. I've learned for anything to be a tradition in a unit, it has to done three years, or three times. Your points are valid and I beleive what we need is something simple at the district level that can be repeated for three years. So, whatever your idea, make it happen three times and you will to a measurble degree accomplished your task.

With that in mind, one idea is motivate all the troops to take on an activity badge for a couple of weeks in the Spring or Fall so that the Packs get use to visiting troops for a few badges. Designed correctly, one Den probably could get three or four during that time while at the same time visiting the troops, seeing boy run in action, Troop adults talking to Webelos parents, and giving the Den Leader a well deserved break.

As for who's in charge. The SPL with the resources of his PLC and adult leaders can do the job. The hard part is encouraging the idea to the all Troops so that it becomes a District tradition. The packs will go the path of least resistance.

Good points imascouter.

Barry