Boy scouts, Popcorn and the ACLU

Great story. On the flip side, I've always said the best publicity is garnered in this way. I've always though it would be a giant coup if the local Triangle Foundation made a large donation to one of the Scout Camps in their area.

Great story! It might help the ACLU's public image if they were to donate to the scouts as one private civic minded organization composed of adults, to another, whose members are children. While they may be winning in court, they are losing the battle of public opinion. I'm glad the scouts earned some $$$ and hope they use it to create some great opportunities for themselves and their community. Sounds like they had quite a day!

SA

Another link to the same story:

http://www.nbc4.tv/food/4005836/detail.html

Scouts ACLU Popcorn Sale Hits Jackpot

RICHMOND, Va. -- Some Boy Scouts in Virginia decided to take a jab at the American Civil Liberties Union -- and found it more than worth their while.

Troop 828 set up a booth in downtown Richmond Wednesday to sell popcorn outside the state ACLU headquarters.

The ACLU has raised legal questions about government sponsorship of the Boy Scouts of America, because the group requires its members to believe in God.

The scouts got an unexpected boost from nationally syndicated talk show host Glenn Beck. The scouts were swamped with buyers and a Web site was flooded with orders from buyers in 39 states.

At last count, popcorn sales had topped $28,000.

Last year, the Chesterfield County troop only sold $300 worth.