As I was standing in line at my duly designated polling place my mind started to wander, I really need a leash for it donchaknow. I was thinking about what a great institution the American system of governemnt is, when I realized my precincts voting place is the basement hall of the local Methodist Church and has been for several years. I checked the newspaper when I got home, nearly 20 percent of the designated polling places in my county are either churches or parochial or other religious schools. So, it set my mind to wander further. Is having voting in a designated religious building a violation of separation of church and state? Doesnt voting in a church or religiously run school imply some sort of endorsement of that religion? Why was the Methodist church chosen and not the Baptist, why was the Catholic school and not the Lutheran? Then I pondered on, none of these religious institutions get reimbursed for their efforts. So, it sets the mind to ponder again. Is not providing a rent free, secure place for voting a valuable service a church provides to the community and if that church wished to place a religious display on public land in that community as return for such a service, would that not be equitable?

Just a thought, as we used to say in Chicago, may the right man win, then again, he always does

I don't really know how it works. And, I'm not even sure if they still pay them (but I think they do). I know they prefer to keep precincts voting in the same location. They only change when (1) the location doesn't want to host any more, or (2) the precinct has gotten over crowded or (3) the polling location is no longer as convenient (eg. redistricting or a shifted population).

I know that you can call the clerk's office and volunteer your location as a host. Although rare, I've even known them to be done in private homes. Sometimes, if a precinct is looking for a host, and no one has volunteered, they'll go out to the churches, schools and businesses and solicit for a host.

As far as a bidding process, I'm quite sure that doesn't happen.

That is a very interesting thought, and one that I need to think of some more.

Since election day in NYC in a holiday, my coworkers and I were trying to take a nap (no, really, a nap) when some voters walked in and asked if the polling place is here-my office is in Grant's Tomb (yes-I work with a dead president, laugh, laugh, but he is alot easier to protect then a living one). We redirected them to the apartment house around the corner. They asked why isn't the polling place in government sites and we explained that it would be inappropriate. Anymore appropriate then a school or fire house (again-government run). I just told them that the president and the staff enjoyes the quite and left it at that.

Happy election day and remember, if you don't vote, you have no right to complain for the next four years.

My polling place is the local elementary school. Due to security issues, students get a day off, which I'm sure makes the working parents happy. My pet peeve is the poll workers who line the sidewalk (not to mention taking up parking places), making a voter "run the gantlet" having brochures shoved in one's face. There ought to be a law that all campaign activities must cease at 6 am when the polls open.

OGE,

Which Chicago are you from? The Chicago I grew up never had he right man win. It was always the left man who won, which is why I left.

I just voted in my third different polling place in three elections. And I had to drive past the last two to get to today's. The past places were close by, now I have to drive down the hill (5-6 miles) towards town. It just does not make sense.

Oh well, it could be worse. I could still be in Chicago.....

There were people giving out literature right up to the entrance of the polling place today--no way to avoid them. Five hands held items out to me at the same time. Kind of ironic--none of it was for the folks I was voting for.

Private christian school was a polling place until a couple years ago when there wasn't room for polling and education. Several churches around here are used. I voted at a firehouse today--first time it was someplace other than a religious place. Never gave it a thought until now though.

In KY there is no electioneering within 300ft of a polling place. They even post notices about this at all the polling places.

In my town most polling places are churches, with the second most being schools.

I have to drive past one church used as a polling place, and then one school used as a polling place, to reach the church that is my polling place.

The law in Va is 40 feet...not nearly enough. I am intrigued by this "early voting" thing. This is the first year I have heard about it. Some polling places are schools, also some fire houses and churches. Not sure how they are chosen. I disagree with using schools if it means the kids have to miss a day of school.

My polling place was the club house of my townhouse community.

There were no people telling me who to vote for. Around these parts "the people who tell you who to vote for" have to stay at least 100 feet away. As I stated didn't see any those folks.

There was a decent line at 830 when I showed up. I was told at 600 there was a line a mile long. I only had to wait about 30 minutes before I made my mark.

Only thing that got my goat was nobody was asking for any ID. Kind of disappointed since I had my voter registration card, driver's license and military retiree card out and ready to be checked.

Purcelce ~ same here on the ID issue. This was the first time I had voted at this polling place, so I had my driver's license out, held it out to show it, but I was told it wasn't necessary. My husband voted later in the day, and he experienced the same thing. We found it odd that ID wasn't checked; it only takes a second to do.(This message has been edited by Laurie)