I think the break is now over. Someone revived one of you-know-who's threads after Marty started this thread. (Though the post that broke the ice is not "objectionable," although I disagree with some of it and the follow-up post by the same person.)

One might argue that a post made 15 minutes after the end of the 48-hour period broke the ice all by itself, as it contained some "controversial" statements.

But we did what Terry asked us to do, and now the Issue and Politics forum is "open" again. That doesn't mean that we should just barge forward without having learned something from the situation that caused this "break" in the first place. (And I use "break" in more than one sense, as "Issues and Politics" was "broken," and I am not referring to how the server was functioning.) I think we all owe it to ourselves, as well as our host, to consider how we should react to the type of provocation that caused this situation, so that (as we should all hope) it does not repeat itself.

Just my two cents. If you have a scout who is being totally disruptive, do you exclude him from the campout or do you cancel the whole campout for everyone? I think the problem child should have been banned and the rest of us be able to camp. Why should we all have been penalized?

I am of two minds on this.

If it was a Scout with some organic issue, that was a contributory factor to the disruptiveness, I would try and see if there could be some accomodation reached that would allow the Scout to participate, without causing too many problems for every one else.

But in other instances, maybe the Scout would need to go home.

And both of these may relate to the real world circumstance we are discussing.

Maybe that "Scout" was less able to endure five days of "time-out", and moved on to another troop.

(This message has been edited by Marty_Doyle)

It never fails: I leave for a couple of days and something interesting happens. So....what are you guys talking about? Am I the one who precipitated whatever it was? Do I need to apologize to someone?

Honest, Sheriff, I paid cash money for them chickens.

Edited part:

Oops, I just figured out that Terry took the 'Issues and Politics' forum to the cyber-woodshed. Ouch! Wait a minute, I wasn't here, I didn't feel anything. Now what was I doing.....thinking...oh yeah, camping. Now isn't that nice!(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I have been on a self imposed restraint the last few days. Actually I took some time off and headed to the mountains with the Mrs. for a few days. See we've been married for 20 years and this was one of the few times we've been away without kids in quite awhile.

I'm kind of glad to see someone with some sense stepped in to cool things down. Before I left there was at least one comment that was quite upsetting to me and I thought about responding and decided the comment was not worthy of a response.

As far as punishing the whole troop goes, if the one disruptive individual begins to generate inappropriate behavior among others(and I include myself in this group) in the troop, sometimes it is appropriate to have the whole troop cool their jets.

Like NJ, I participate in this section primarily as a diversion and I was not comfortable with the direction of the tone of the discussion.

I wish all well and hope we've all put the time off the issues and politics section to good use. I know I did.

SA