Some ethical scenarios at work

The 1964 civil rights act says an employer must accommodate an employee's religious practices, unless they can show that this constitutes an "undue hardship" for the company:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-relig.html

An "undue hardship" can mean more than a de minimus cost, or a "business necessity":

http://www.boli.state.or.us/civil/religion.html

Rescheduling a meeting or having someone cover for an employee doesn't sound like it would constitute an "undue hardship" for the company under normal circumstances, but if there was some reason it had to be held that particular day, it could qualify as a "business necessity". Scenario #3 sounds like the meeting day & time were chosen arbitrarily.

I object to Scenario #1, answer B; "offensive" and "not funny" are independent properties of a joke, and are not synonyms.

"When considered for employment, you owe your potential employer an upfront assessment on how your religious beliefs may effect your work effectiveness. Your potential employer owes you the potential impact your employment may have on your religious observances."

well, I'd suggest that if the employer only describes an 8-to-5 or whatever job, and never mentions a need for overtime OR that VT is not carved in stone, then there's no need... if the job on paper raises no possible conflict, then who needs to know?

The prudent employer will not sponsor events which serve alcohol. Too much liability. If they do, the prudent employee will not imbibe to the point of jeopardizing his/her career. In situations like that, there is no such thing as being "off duty". Your behavior and judgment are being constantly observed and evaluated.

As regards the religious accomodation question, I will defer to the attorney, and keep my opinions private.

• 1 month later...

Sctmom, sorry, I've been travelling and I hate that I missed this one until now. Others have answered the last scenario just fine. As for the first two, I have been in those first two situations several times in the past. I tend to speak up on the spot and inform them of the offensive nature of their statements. It doesn't matter who it is. Most of the time the other person is very apologetic but I've also been called out. My boss didn't remember a thing and I acquired new respect from some of my coworkers. Sometimes silence is a terrible lie.