why such a fuss?

Hi, guys. I am a rather new member here (about 5 minutes) but i read several other posts and it seems that some folks really get bent out of shape about the DE pushing popcorn at a round table. Is that really something to get warped about? I got into it with my son, and I am proud as punch that I did. We sold for four afternoons, and then were done with fundraisers for the year. He paid for three camping trips, day camp, a trip to the ocean, Blue and Gold, and got some camping gear out of the deal as well. I personally like popcorn. it saved me some cash.

what do you guys think?

We just joined Cubs a few weeks ago and got the popcorn sprung on us last week. This is less than a month since my son did his school fundraiser. That isn't a problem for the pack, just for us individually. He went around the neighborhood and to all the family members and sold $250 in a day. My concern is what a Den Leader dad down the street told my son. My son understood him to say that we only keep 10% of the sale!!! My son is a pretty good listener, but at 9 years old, he does get it wrong sometimes. I hope this is the case. I find the popcorn to be a little pricey at $7 for a 14 0z. tin of caramel corn you can buy at Wal-Mart for $1 and the 3-way tin going for $30. A lot of people bought, but a lot of people balked at the price. Someone tell me I am wrong on the 10% please. Someone is making a ton of money and it isn't the scouts if that is the case. We sold tubs of frozen cookie dough for baseball that was $12 a tub and we got to keep half. If this is true, someone is lining their pockets and I'd prefer that our pack find a better fundraiser.

Thanks for the info. That makes a little better sense. I still think it is pretty high priced popcorn. I doubt that he would have sold as much as he did if he had not been in uniform. It is instant identity and people seem to be willin to spend the extra for a program that has a good reputation. He sold the big $30 tin to an older couple whose three sons had been in scouts and made Eagle.

They aren't just paying for the popcorn, they are helping scouts. Sure you can buy cheaper popcorn but does it help put a smile on a kid's face? People seemed more receptive when my son said "we are raising money to help go camping". Just name anything that the pack does. Camping is something every identifies with scouts, so it worked. Our pack gets 30 to 40% of the profit, we don't do individual accounts at the pack level. The pack needs money to buy all those awards and stuff. Takes more than you realize at first.

We keep about 33%. I think it is high, but people don't usually buy it because they are hungry for popcorn. I found they buy it to help a kid go do whatever he tells them he is going to do with it. My son found that he sold better if I stayed in the car. He averages $250.00 per hour when I get out of the way. And 80% of last years customers will buy again. That is how this last year he did $1500.00 in four afternoons between school letting out and 5:00 pm. I think the DE's should be commended. So what if it helps the Council? Where can my kid make $80.00 per hour for his pack???? and by the way, we don't do but one fundraiser per year. I like that.

" I still think it is pretty high priced popcorn"

Not for the quality of the product. The microwave stuff is probably the best bargain. The Caramel Corn with Almonds and Pecans is head and shoulders better than anything you can get at Wal-Mart for a buck.

The money from popcorn sales goes three places:

1) To Trail's End

2) Council

3) Unit (Den, Patrol, Pack, Troop, etc.)

The local council sets the retail price, not Trail's End. On average, over 70% goes to the Scouting program (#2 & #3).

In my district, they give bonuses for completing paperwork on time, getting the money in on time, etc. The bonus is usually about 1% of sales.

So, if my unit does everything correctly, they get about 37% of sales, the Council, 35% and the rest goes to Trail's End. How the unit wants to divide their amount, i.e. scout accounts, etc. is up to them. I like the concept of store sales (show & sell) going to the Troop/Pack and individual door to door orders (take orders) going into scout accounts. However, there is more of a need for scout accounts in Boy Scouts than in Cub Scouts due to the cost of frequent outings.

Overall, it think it is an excellent program. On the down side, the new "four packs" were dogs. Many asked for the discontinued popping corn tins.