Talk about discrimination!

Each day, I'm driven to stare at the ground, and shake my head in confusion even more. I'm 40, and well remember when the things I do in life would have been honorable. I would have been considered an upstanding citizen, but now, it's just the opposite.

I'm a Christian, Baptist, Southerner, Caucasian, conservative, heterosexual, and now, Scouter...

Did I mention I'm employed by a tobacco company?

I believe this qualifies to me as the most hated individual on earth.

Bob,

You're right! Many folks would think that your credentials as a lawyer on one side of the card wipe out any good credentials you might have on the other side...like decency, hard working, family man, God fearing....Scouter...you know the drill...we all do. :-)

Congrats. Join the nice guys!

Here are a few other associations that may get you labeled as a bigot, stupid, or something worse:

NRA member

Republican

Home schooling

Hunter

Pro-Life

Rush Limbaugh listener

Of course, unless you're a member of every ultra-liberal organization imaginable, there is nothing lower than a white male.

I don't participate much in the posting in many of these forums, but I do enjoy reading the experiences and insight into Scouting that most of you have. However, I am starting to get a bit concerned about the negativity in this thread.

Yes, there is a faction in the world that wants gay Scout leaders. Yes, there are things that could make the BSA a better organization than it already is, and yes, we as a group can constructively criticize anyone we choose. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, a Scout is Cheerful, so let's keep this forum as positive as possible.

P_Swigs,

I wouldn't take nay of this all that seriously. Given the nature of the bulk of the discussions in this forum, most of it being quite serious and dealing with the unkindly way many people seem to treat Scouting today, I find this particular thread to be more frivolous and fun. We're poking fun at each other, and the circumstances we fund the organization in. I wouldn't believ for a moment that much of this is taken too seriously by any of us.

But.....then again.....I just could be wrong, ya know.:-)

I assure you it was meant to be light-hearted. When it comes right down to it, I don't do much marching, or protesting, or potical activity. Some things are just out of my hands.

I'm too busy trying to be the best

conservative, Christian, caucasian, parent, and Scouter that I can be.

Everything else will surely take care of itself.

Thanks for all your responses.

Sounds good to me. It's just that there's so much in Scouting that is positive. I would much rather talk about that side of things. I AM glad there is a forum like this for Scouters to share thoughts, so, to all of you, keep bringing it on.

As jmcquillan says, we can poke fun amongst us, as we all are in this together, and believe strongly in what we do for Scouting and our Scouts. But when we are attacked, we join ranks, and defend what we know to be a great program for our youth.

I just got back from our troop's summer camp, an independent camp where we spent a week on an island in the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington, sailing, boating, etc. Almost 100% participation for our Scouts, and great adult participation. Amongst adults on the trip, we poked fun at each other, and I often bear the brunt of it, as our charter rep attended and takes great pleasure in giving me grief for my chosen profession. But it is all in great fun, and as I'm sure with most Scout groups, we truly respect each other and what we all share in Scouting. So long as we have the great commitment of so many, we will weather the storms that occasionally cross our paths, and will continue to serve the many youth that will someday also serve our country and our Scouting organization.