Folks,

While I've been in scouting for a long time, I do not know everything, I do make mistakes, and I do overlook things. So that is why I am posting here.

Here's my situation. My district hasn't done a IOLS course this year, not going into details but they are legit reasons INHO. Three things spurred me to push into play an IOLS with 1.5 months of lead time.

1) There is a very big need as we have a bunch of new leaders in my district.

2)The NH incident in which a 31yo Eagle ASM got lost despite having a map and compass.

3)The two or three younger Scouts who got separated from their unit while backpacking.

Anyway if you could create your own IOLS course, what resources would you use and how would you conduct the course?

Here are the limitations.

1) Topics have to correspond to the topics covered in the IOLS syllabus, so no SSD and SA info as well as canoe camping.

2)It's going to be cold

3) You are using older Scouts, Venturers, and 18-20 ASMs to help teach the course (I know some adults may not pay attention to the youth and I am teaming them up with adult staffers to make sure the ADULTS behave. 3 of those younger staffers I have no reservations on, and 1 potential staffer is coming highly recommended by an adult staffer whom I know and trust).

4) Will also have some Cub Scout Leaders who want to get the WeLOT info,as well as prep for being ASMs when the time comes. Plus a few of them think the course will be fun.

Ok have at it, and my staffer who is on the site can post too.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start right off with the syllabus... there's no magic there, it's skills from the BSA Handbook from T to 1st Class.

Also, THE OLS and OWLS (or what you Call WeLoT) course have different elements (Webelos Leaders cover the Outdoor Activity badges).

Lastly, IMO I think you can't forget the "How to teach/convey/demonstrate the skills in the syllabus" to the Scout focus. So you need a confident and skilled staff.

Other than that, "hands on, hands on, hands on", instead of standing around getting lectured. They Boys don't learn that way either.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

A good proportion of IOLS is now Leave No Trace -- it would be nice (although not required) if you contacted the Outdoor Ethics committee of your council to see if you could get a Leave No Trace Trainer or Master Educator to come in and chat about some things.

My ideal IOLS course for me is one that I can test out of, but then I'm a National Camp School Outdoor Skills Director and a LNT Master Educator.

You might look at National's "Tenderfoot to First Class" camp program to get some ideas for activities that can be used to teach some of those things.

DG,

One of the things I am a little disappointed in in regards to the current BSHB is some information is either missing, or abreviated. I actually some of my older BSHBs to list equipment.

I admit I have not read through the entire WeLOT book, but from what I've read so far, a lot of the information is the same, and the WeLOT book cites the IOLS book. But again I am still reviewing course material and coming up with a plan. I do know Scouter-T has some info on conducting a joint course and what is needed.

Bart,

I don't beleive we have a LNT master educator in our neck of the woods yet. But I am working on getting one of our adults who has a very strong eco-con background to help teach if available. If anyone could be considered a master trainer, I think it would be him since he has taught the eco con courses for over 40 years, including at Philmont.

Also do you have a link to the "Tenderfoot to First Class" camp program, or is that one of the NCS docs you have? I ask becasue A) it sounds like a valuable resource and B) if it is the summer camp program doc, I want to know what is suppose to be done as we had issues at summer camp this past year.

Please keep it coming.

Our district combines with two other districts to put on an excellent IOLS program in the fall and spring. Part of that also incorporates the Webelos training for Den Leaders as well.

It has plenty of value for people new to the outdoors and for experienced outdoorspeople who don't have experience with CURRENT BSA practices and methods.

Wouldn't change a thing!

Of course this training has it's limitations. It's not going to turn someone without outdoor skills into a competent outdoor leader without more training and lots more experience.

(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

SP,

For whatever reason, our training seem parochial. Someone from one district won't attend another district's training. Only time you see multi district ones is when the council is putting on the training, i.e. UoS, Venturing Weekend, etc. Don't know if it's b/c of the distances, geographically we are a huge council, or culture, but we do not have many joint trainings.

I know that several districts would get together and do the SM Fundamentals course when I went through it. HeckI still have my SMF necker with the 3 district's names and the course logo on it.

Schedule two courses: One traditional :Friday eve (crackerbarrel, early setup) then All day Saturday and Sunday thru lunch. Include a "Scout's Own " discussion, and, if appropriate, a model SO.

One "Sabbath friendly" course: Saturday eve (crackerbarrel and early setup) thru Sunday dinner/campfire and (if possible) monday morn thru lunch.

This allows various faiths to participate w/o violating their precepts. Also, try to allow for other various necesities. Speak with LDS folks about their requirements and how you can accomodate them.

Try HARD not to do it in ONE DAY, which was attempted here, but did not seem to be as successful, except in letting folks "do it" in ONE DAY. This was a Early Saturday thru Late Saturday night and go home session (no overnight!).

Try not to cover too much in too short a time. Schedule things in a logical way : Knife and Axe,,FIre Safety and building, planning the campfire program, and THEN hold the campfire. Not as was done once, Campfire program on Saturday night, then Fire safety and knife and Axe on Sunday. Huh?

Ask around for the old timers that know how to fell a tree and use flint and steel. Try not to just do it from the book. They can ALWAYS read the book. Start a fire with Fritos.

Give them 3 ring binders and USEFUL stuff to put in them: Reprints from the 1948 Fieldbook on Knife and Axe and Some pages on Tree IDing. Recommend some guidebooks on animal ID and plant ID, even offer some for sale (bought in bulk, publishers will give you a discount for BSA, just ask).

Contact your local District/COuncil BSA Chaplain about the "Scout's Own discussion. Maybe you might run into someone who served at the NatJambo in that capacity.

Develope a IOLS staff for the future....

Tent as much as you can, use a shelter, but eat hearty....

YiS

Hello Eagle92,

The IOLS course I've been enthusiastic about is sort of an ongoing co-op among experienced Scouters from three districts. It's not an ad hoc group thrown together for each training course.

Most of the people leading various training elements have been doing their element for years.

So they are VERY good at what they do. The guy leading the map and compass element is a civil engineer, as an example. The Scouter leading the element about knife and axe safety and sharpening is from my district --- he's a master at the skill and the sharpest knife in the drawer on the subject.

Two old Scouters lead the fire building skill session and again they are masters of the craft.

I was so impressed that after taking the course I signed up with them and was the Patrol Guide for two of these courses.

The thing I personally found most valuable was the ceremony they had at the conclsion of the course. It was a TERRIFIC candle oriented ceremony which really taught me the power a good ceremony can have on people --- even including adults. I've made a point in polishing my skills inj that area since that time.

And since this is widely known among district Scouters, it's promoted widely amonth all three districts, with 4-6 patrols being formed for each course.

It's an example of how talented leadership can create a high quality program that is inspirational --- another important Scouting principle people should learn.

Do the course without ANY lectures. :)

I had this demonstrated many moons ago when I was a kid. The instructor walked out into our group with a 1' stump, put it in the middle of group and sat on it. He said he was going to teach all there was to know about fire building and the tools to make it happen. He then got up and without saying a word demonstrated the tools, how to use them, how to sharpen them, he went and found wood in the woods and demonstrated fire building. I especially remember that with each piece of wood he had, he also held up the leaf so we knew if he was referring to pine or oak, or whatever. Once he was all done, he went back to his original stump, sat down and asked, "Any questions?" Surprisingly there were very few. After all these years, I still sharpen my axes as he taught. I carry them as he taught, even though today's carry is different. Obviously this gentleman has perfected his silent "lecture" over the years, but it is something I still remember 50 years later. Every time I teach, I only speak to fill in where I have not come fully prepared for the demonstration, i.e. oak leaf and piece of oak, pine needles and piece of pine. I'll hold up the wood and say it's oak or pine. Maybe I would be more effective with the leaf and needles.

Stosh

I know I'm going to get slammed for this but oh well... IOLS is a very bad course and needs a serious over-haul. When I did my training, I learned next to nothing and walked away from the course feeling it was a waste of a long weekend. Yes it was fun and good to spend time with other mentors of youth.

The breakout for first aid; seroiusly? Basic first aid and CPR is an 8 hour class. Real wilderness first aid certification (I'm not talking the BSA thing they do a camp) is an 18 hr + course. Having the one hour breakout is a waste of an hour. BSA should mandate basic FA/CPR/AED for all leaders.

Knots is something you learn by practice. Direct participants to the scout handbook to learn knots. Spend your time teaching those how to teach others.

Navigation; people spend years and countless trips refining this skill. Present ideas on ways to make this skill fun and interesting to the scouts.

Fire building; focus should be on teaching totin chip not fire building.

LNT: teach the very basics for real life. Advance LNT comes after the basic stuff becomes automatic.

Spend quality time with camp skills such as site selection, weather conditions, food safety, gear, the art of backpacking. Provide resourses for maps, camping areas and great hiking spots for youth.

Nature is another total waste, what can you learn in one hour? This is a life long quest.

Most participants aren't there to play games. Don't do it. They are adults there to learn to work with kids, don't treat them like kids. Many are there because someone told them they had to do it. Keep it fun but treat it like any business training.

The best things I learned when I took IOLS came from the free time sharing ideas and stories with other leaders.

The whole idea of TF to 1st class in a weekend is unrealistic. Outdoor skills is not something that can be learned in a weekend. It MUST be practiced. The expectation of the course should motivate the participants to seek the knowledge, learn on there own and attempt to personally master outdoor skills.

Eagle92

I have been an ASM in my son's Troop for several years, and have worked with many Scouts on the skills from T to 1st class.

I have chaired the Webelos Outdoor Skills course for 3- years.

We run our IOLs and the Webelos course in parallel. Several portions of the IOLS we do as a group, but note where the Webelos portion ends (example - axe use).

Usually when we cover the Webelos stuff like Activity badges, while IOLS is doing a longer 1st Aid, LNT, Map & Compass and Ropes.

Food is usually done together because a "Foil meal" is only so interesting. The IOLS demos on food can get really involved. Although there's always room for a simple box Oven to do cookies (I save it for after all the fancy DO demos are almost done). Cuz, anything you can bake in a DO, you can bake in a box, and "Cleanup" is Webelos easy!

IMHO where the Webelos course "rubber meets the road" is the Webelos Transition and how it exposes them to Boy Scouts/Boy Scout activities, without which many don't go on into Troops. That portion is Webelos specific as well as the activity badges.

But I think the focus should be "How to show the Scouts how to do this... instead of sharpening your skills".

Favorite example: ever show a Scout facing you how to tie a knot? They are seeing it from the opposite view you are... instead I ask them to step behind me and look over my shoulder at my hands (so they see it the way I am seeing it). Very subtle difference that can make the "light" go on.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

If it's going to be cold, you will have to have a prep session about winter gear and first aid for hypothermia and frostbite. The advantage: you are demonstrating a shakedown just like you would do it with scouts. You may want to collect med forms then and review any limitations.

If you feel you must lecture, you must have a cabin that's comfortable for everyone, but not sweltering hot.

Orienteering (seems that it's on your mind) should be taught on a hike. No more than 7 students at a time. All discussions regarding the map and compass must be done with everyone circling up and able to provide input (and a windbreak and warmth?). At each discussion, one person takes point, tells what he/she is doing (orienting map, identifying landmarks, setting compass), then asks the group if they concurr, making eye contact with each member. Unlike Stosh's knife and axe demo (which I really like and may attempt), orienteering is 75% in the head; therefore, communication skill is a must. Everybody needs to be in the loop, engaged in the task.

I am an Eagle ASM and very good at getting lost, getting found again is always a team effort.

Get Outdoors misses the point of Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills. No one expects proficiency out of inexperienced trainees.

Like Seattle Pioneer, I participate as a trainer for OLS twice a year in a three district combined effort. The people who go through it, both experienced and inexperienced, all widely praise our course. The training staff also picks up ideas from the trainees over time.

Some straightforward lecture is unavoidable, but we make our training as hands on as possible, with numerous live demonstrations.

Some suggestions:

Try to set up round robins. Among other things you will get smaller groups at the various demonstrations and they can get closer to the action.

We struggled with first aid for awhile. It is difficult to make it exciting. We focus on (1) the basics required of the scouts,(2) those things which occur with greatest frequency, and (3) those things which are most life threatening.

We do set up a short orienteering course for which we have a map and combine that with a nature hike. This is not a timed event, but an opportunity to practice map and compass skills. The nature staff station themselves at some of the control points where they can discuss and point out various things of interest in the vicinity.

We also offer an optional segment on star finding after all the other Saturday evening evetns are done. Between light pollution and fog we often end up canceling this, but at least we try to make it available.

We gave up on Friday evenings a long time ago. We start early Saturday morning and do not finish until about 4:30 PM on Sunday.

We routinely attract trainees from other districts, and even other councils from time to time.

Good luck.(This message has been edited by eisely)

Good ideas all, please keep them coming.

SSS,

Sad to say, but the LDS unit does very little, if anything, with our district. Their stake is based out of another council, and they do more with them than with us. Someone with an interest in being training chair has already got some ideas long the lines that you have. Problem is he is not on the district committee at the moment. I'm working on that.

Plan on giving both participants and staff some type of booklet with the info in it as it is presented, and places for notes. Somewhere, probably int he attic, is my old BA22 notebook. That's something I did keep with me while I moved around.

Base,

Thanks for the offer, but I am on a tight budget and also do not know how many folks will even attend. I keep hearing a lot are interested, but only 2 folks, both staffers, have paid. I do not want to inconvenience anyone.

SP,

Do you have a copy of the ceremony by any chance? I was planning on taking elements of ceremonies I've seen and used for other things, but one specific to IOLS would be great.

Stosh,

Great idea! One of the things I am doing is trying to mix up the different abilties of the leaders, and see if a member of the patrol can teach the skill for the module with the staff in the background. I am thinking about giving the student about a week to two week notice to prep. One thing we got is we got some folks with great outdoor skills. Heck I'd put one of the CS leaders who plans to attend, if work lets him, against any experienced leader,and he could probably teach large parts of the course. BUT he also hikes the AT for fun.

Again I want it hands on.

Outdoors,

I can understand. back it the day as a 19YO ASM, I did the outdoor potion of SMF and didn't learn anything new either. But I also did a lot of hiking and camping as a scout. Agree mastery cannot be met in one weekend. Goal is to make it hands on, get comfortable with the skill, get ideas to bring back to the PLC to incorporate into their program and keep it hands on.

I go into program details in a moment, and I think you will like.

DG,

YOU ARE CAUSING ME HEADACHES NOW! :) Seriously though you are making me review the WeLOT book I have fully in the very near future. I admit I've done IOLS before, but no one has done WeLOT in my neckof the woods, and I discovered it was offered only one time in the council. Focus has been BALOO and IOLS. DEs and others have said have the WDLs take IOLS as they will get more out of it.

Quazse,

You are a mind reader, orienteering is a major concern. I haev already sent out an equipment list with the registration info, noting it will be cold and to be prepared. And a shake down will be done at registration. More on that in a minute.

Eisley,

In regards to Outdoors' comment, I found a statement in the IOLS to the effect that Leaders attending the course should get the skills signed off as they do it just as the scouts do. That concerns me greatly, and may be why a lot of folks think "One and Done" And we all know that there is no way someone with 0 background in the outdoors can master the T-2-1 skills in a weekend. That's why I want it emphasized that these are life long learning skills.

Please keep the comments coming and I will post what my plan is to date in a bit.

Finally THANK YOU AL VERY MUCH.