I have a question to ask It may be a dumb question, it may be a good question. Not sure which it is, but I do know it is a question! :)

Right now I am Cub Master of my son's pack. He is a first year Webelos. He plans to cross over into Boy Scouts. I say he plans as I am not gonna force him to do it.

Anyways, I am not, nor will I ever be a helicopter parent. And as I have explained to my wife, Boy Scouts is where we step back and let our son figure things out on his own and spread his wings - to fly for himself.

Sure, I suppose I will be going on the occasional campout to sit WAY BACK and observe...but that would be more of my wifes doing than mine! :)

I plan on sticking with the Cub Master position.

So, my question is this: As a Cub Master, and NOT AS A Webelos Den Leader or as a parent who has no plans ( as of right now) to being a part of the troop leadership.....would taking IOLS AS A CUBMASTER be of any practical benefit to the pack, to me ,or to our Webelos leadership.... if I - THE CM - take it?

Edited for clarification

(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

There is a current course for Webelos Leaders - WOLT (Webelos Outdoor Leadership Training) -- now word is that this is being merged into IOLS, but that training has not been released by National.

And, of course, there is BALOO, which you should have at least three adult leaders trained in, since you should always have at least one on a cub campout.

But, sure, IOLS would be great for your Webelos Leaders!

My bad. I just edited my OP to include this.

What I meant was would there be a benefit to the pack and my Webelos Leaders if I take it?

I do plan on the Webelos leaders...especially the 2nd year Webelos Leaders taking it as it helps withcrossing over and preparing for Boy Scouts.

But is there a benefit to me..the CubMaster...taking it?

I for one can not wait for the two to be merge. It will make life so much easier. It was to be this fall but got backed up, hopefully this Spring we will have the merged course. Since in the North country we don't train again until Spring, that would mean I will not have to do the seprate courses again.

OWLS or WeLot or whatever they want to call it is recommended, but not required of Webloes den leaders. IOLS is required of SM' or ASM's. They are practically the same course except OWLS has whittling chit & 3 outdoor activity pins and IOLS has toten chit and plant & animal Identification. But the rest of it cooking, camping, orienteering, knots & lashings, campfire program, interfaith worship... even backpacking & woodman tools (which most webloes don't get into) are the same..

I tell Webloes to take the IOLS unless they want to repeat the course in a year or two. For you, that is really up to how set you are with staying in cubscouts. If they are merged before you take the course, you really will have nothing to have to decide on.

But with boy scouts never say never. Your son may find a great troop, and in a year or two the adult leaders that were in place may start leaving, causing the troop to have poor adult leadership, that doesn't understand boy-lead.. You may find yourself wading in just to make sure the program stays boy-lead and to ensure the other adult leaders let your son and the other boys spread their wings & fly.

In which case IOLS will give you pretty much what you will get from the OWLS. Whittlin chit you can read up on. You just may need to depend on someone else for the outdoor activity pins. Which if you have someone knowledgeable in the field you may just do with or without OWLS training.

Something I've found out since my return to scouting is that every course I can take I will. They have all helped me greatly. I think IOLS is a good course for every leader in Scouting to take. Gets everyone on the same sheet of paper too.

Scoutfish,

In direct answer to your question, as a CM, NO.

In an indirect way, maybe. I am of the opinion that there are very few training areas that are totally worthless. I have been able to pick up ideas from MANY trainings, even some of the basics.

I have been an adult leader, off and on, since 1979. Even old dogs can learn new tricks.

My $0.02 worth.

YiS,

Rick

In my council (Buffalo Trace) OWLS and IOLS are offered as the same course, with a single breakout session of the OWLS going off to do Webelos Den Leader Specific Training, while the SM/ASMs redo Youth Protection.

I'd like to see a combined BALOO-OWLS-IOLS course myself. I know a lot of cub parents may not go for training that lasts the weekend though.

Again, taking the training would not hurt. However, I would suggest you would have a better experience if you took the course as a SA. The course has no benefit to a Cubmaster. It does provide some benefit to the parent of a Boy Scout. So depending on your perspective, make your choice.

As Ghermanno stated, there is no real benefit, or reason for a CM to take IOLS.

There is both a reason, and a benefit for a Webelos den leader to take it.

However, if you want to take the course for your own benefit, go for it. No reason not to. Training is never wasted.

It is entirely up to you.

When I was a DL/CM, I took any training offered.

If only to tell potential Cub Leaders what to expect and how it can help.

As a UC/ASM, I still take any training offered, especially if:

There's camp food involved, and an opportunity for a good camp fire.

I've gotten to the point now in Scouting now, that usually I end up on staff, so the best part is working with some of the best friends I have ever had.... course, food and a campfire is still good enough!

I agree.. I love taking courses and meeting new people, and now I'm starting to Staff courses.. and yes the food is always great..

Like I said above, if you have the time and a course is offered go for it. I've never understood people not willing to take courses. YOu never know what lies around the corner. The local CM might have a problem and needs to leave or whatever, and if your trained up you can step into his or her shoes.. I'm not a UC but I went to the training. If I like I could change to a UC or whatever. And I also have a better idea of what a UC has too do.