re: out of control boys

I agree with the previous posts. When my son was a Wolf we had a CM and ACM that were volunteers from the Troop. They would yell above the boys to get there attention. I have even heard of some using a whistle (ie Kindergarten Cop). Our current CM for the last 2 years is a quiet guy, he even has a soft voice, and has a lot of trouble getting the boys' attention at pack meetings. I have made it a point to go around and tap boys on the shoulders and say signs up (Cub sign held up means quiet).

You definitely have to put your foot down and get the parents that are there to help.

Sctmom,

I like that: 'BSA doen't stand for Baby Sitters of America'. That was a good one I will have to remember.

momandscout

i admit that at home - I can get pretty verbal and loud -

but i still hate "yelling" at kids.

sometimes you have to shout to be heard - outside, across a gym, etc. But did you ever LOOK at someone yelling? they look really dumb and out-of-control! How can the boys respect that?

I used to substitute teach - my favorite grades were 4thgrade thru Jr high - REALLY noisy!

One thing that would allways capture their attention was to flick the lights. the classroom lights go out and they would all look up and stop talking. At least long enough to redirect them!

I do carry a whistle on campouts. a quick whistle will carry across a field or water MUCH better than even my loud voice - and even loud voices can be ignored. a whistle usually isn't.

I had an elementary school teacher who could whistle with 2 fingers and be heard for a half a mile! She was also a very tall woman who could bore a hole through you with her look.

The other teachers always had her whistle to get us in off the playground. You better believe it got your attention! I don't remember ever hearing her raise her voice. We had a healthy respect for her.

The whistle is a good idea, in Boy Scouts we have taught that the use of a whistle usually means trouble or someone is lost. This is a signal with three....med blasts. I use it to assemble the troop. As far as yelling at the scouts...it has a time and a place...when no one is paying attention...usually not yelling just a loud "SIGNS UP" and that gets their attention. When we have a scout or scouts that are out of control there are warnings given. 1,2,3,up to 5 we use the chain of command rule, patrol leader, Patrol leader and Senior Patrol leader, Patrol leader, Senior Patrol leader and Assistant Scoutmaster, Two Assistant Scoutmasters and or another adult leader...finially the Scoutmaster with and Assistant Scoutmaster...you don't want to get here...If you are still out of control here...you will be out of control somewhere else other than with the troop. You will not advance, you will not go on camping trips or other outdoor activities, you will be asked to attend a board of review with parents / guardians and explain why you should remain in scouting. This proceedure can be shortened depending on the situation. Generally our scouts know...and do learn that mis behavior or being out of control will have consiquences...this also is relayed to the parents...If they don't support us...then there are consiquences. This may be a long process for some...for some this becomes a short process. We don't belive in lots of yelling...just some occasional "LLLLLLLoud COMMMANDS" this is needed to get above the noise. Scouts are loud they are eleven year old boys haveing the time of their lives. We believe in giving the scouts plenty of room to control them selves, hec...when was the last time you saw how many Orieo's you could put in your mouth at one time? We saw this on a camping trip...decided to use it in a contest. We used large marshmellows...how many could you put in your mouth and still whistle??...worked pretty good...look for what the scouts are being out of control over...maybe you can use it to bring them in-control with a game. Scouting is a game with a pourpose...

Don't have much in recent experience with Cub Scouts but have a bit with Boy Scouts. With the younger first year scouts I explain to them that there are certain things that I do not ask for but require from them. Primarily that they act like scouts not just a bunch of kids, as Scouts they are being held to a higher standard and them meeting this standard is, once again, not asked for but required. They very quickly adopt this higher standard, especially when they see the older Scouts behaving up to this standard.

Our SPL,PL and their assistants do not call the boys to order they call the Scouts to order. Works very well. I call the scouts gentlemen and sir, they respond in kind by calling me Mr..

I have found that if the boys are held to high standards they will respond.

Just rememebered, the Pack used to give the boys colored drinks and cookies after a meeting and I would cringe as the sugar hit. This was dropped and behavior improved.

Having a routine, being mega-organized & keeping the boys ultra busy has seemed to help my Den.

I start with a busy activity at the kitchen table that my denner & ADL oversee. About 5-10 mins. after the hour, everyone gathers in the living room to begin the meeting. The boys are extremely rowdy at this point. I get their attention by starting with the "Boom, Chicka, Boom" chant that's found in the Cub Scout How-To Book. It took a few den meetings, but the boys have the chant down & they know that things are about to get started. We dive right into the Pledge & then either a rowdy activity outside or an active song with the intent of burning a little edge off their wiggles. (Boy I miss Day Light Savings time when I could send them to the backyard!)

I have an agenda written out that covers announcements, coloring the advancement chart & probably a gross song. For the primary meeting activity, the boys get split into 2 groups with one staying with me & the other going into the kitchen with the ADL. Parents get to be the helpers. We finish the activity & return to the living room for closing & then everyone enjoys a snack.

My agendas are usually typed up on the computer because they are always a "work-in-progress." I'm constantly adding/ tweaking throughout the week items that need to be addressed at each meeting. By the time the meeting starts, the agenda has about 15 items on it, which seems ludicrous, but a lot of those items are just announcements.

I make sure I have all handouts & supplies ready to distribute, too. These things get piled up throughout the week in prep for the meeting so I don't have to scurry around the house at the last minute with the phone ringing every 5 mins. I've learned quick that I have to keep the boys busy, busy, busy. If I have a minute's worth of lull in the meeting or if I have to leave the room to grab an item, piece of paper, etc., then I lose their attention & it's back to the "Boom, Chicka, Boom!"

We do well with "Sign's up!", but it usually means reminding one of the boys to stop talking also.

We have one pair in our den who are especially noisy and troublesome, and I make it a point to keep those two very busy and apart from each other.

My kids go to a school without walls, where noise control is important. One tactic they use successfully to hush a room is the teacher claps a short rhythm, and all the kids know to face her and clap the rhythm back. She then claps one more rhythm, they repeat it again, and the room is silent. That may help you get control of the room quickly.

Clap! Clappity Clap!Clap!

Good luck!

Put the sign up and stand there and do not say a word! Walk over in front of or next to the ones that will not settle down. This includes parents! You will get more respect without yelling.

Make them understand that every action has a reaction. At the end of a bad meeting, tell them what they did not get to do, we had a game planned or treat but we ran out of time so we cannot do it.

A good point Dan - that hands up is the best thing - teach it early, use it often, and it WILL work!

However, I do have to say that I envy you men your deep voices in these situations. A Dad with a deep voice can simply say

"Boys, NOW!" in a slightly raised tone of voice and get immediate action - a soft-spoken man or especially a woman, just sounds whiney or out-of control if they "yell". Why IS that?

My Dad NEVER yelled. but he would get "that tone" and we would all jump like army privates! I'm sure we all remember "that tone" from someone in your youth! LOL!

Our group is pretty good with using the sign in meetings and at close range - but outdoors - sound gets lost, muffled.

I like the clapping idea - but I don't think it would carry well outside.

I have one of those triangle dinner bells, I've thought of taking it along to troop outings - still thinking about it.

It hangs usually by my back door - I ring it to call my son in from wherever he is in the neighborhood - he can usually hear it, better than my voice - at least 3-4 houses away, as long as he is outside - and it saves my voice!

I didn't mean yell as in anger or ugly! All I meant was really loud. Yelling doesn't have to be about anger.

I had to learn to do that on a football field in marching band with a crowd talking in the stands/sidelines. I had to learn to 'yell' but it was not anger and I didn't make an ugly face.

Sorry if this came across as an anger topic. It wasn't supposed to be.

I prefer the signs up. Saying "SIGNS UP" loudly and be sure it is heard across a large loud room of boys and parents talking (we meet in a fellowship hall of a church) is difficult with out a good 'yell'. It is said once or twice, then boys are more directly made to take notice like a tap on the shoulder.

momandscout