As far as the professor is concerned, as Colonel Sherman T Potter says: "HORSEHOCKEY!"

EagleSons' major professor just took a week going to eight other universities, giving eight masterclasses and recitals. He made up his lessons to his studio; he had another professor come in and cover the weekly all-hands class. At a different university I know a tenured full professor who will be going to Britain for 17 days in about a week. He is using several techniques to make up his lessons.

The professor can invite a guest lecturer on a special topic, can have a promising TA give a lecture on a special subject within the course, can even cancel class.

As far as the HS student, you're not willing to go and visit with his Principal? As a Plan B, what about sending him to (I hope PTC has gotten better about this...) NAYLE at Philmont for a week in summer?

There's always more than one way to skin the cat, if you think outside the box.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

We have to stick with apples or oranges. Getting time off for professional seminars is not the same as getting time off for volunteer/personal opportunities.

I have pulled boys out of school on many occasions for reenacting reasons and have had no problems. Depending on grades and finances I'm hoping the student can work it out.

I'm thinking that as time gets closer the cost in both resources and time may wane with time and minds may change. But one must always remember we are dealing with volunteers here and the amount they are willing to commit varies from one individual to the next.

I've managed professional groups as well as volunteer groups and one has to make major adjustments between the two. One can't threaten to fire volunteers when the screw up, and worse yet, volunteers don't often quit when you hope they would. Big time (horse)apples and oranges here. :)

Stosh