Where did you have your beading ceremony

I was on the District Committee when I finished mine and had it done at one of our meetings. My reasoning was that these were my peers and they would understand better than anybody else the significance of the award.

• 2 weeks later...

It was stressed to us that as Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts have recognition, so should adults. A lot of my peers have been beaded at the Outdoor Coordinated training for Web leaders/SM/ASM.

From my WB course, I think one had it at a district event. 2 will have them at Blue & Gold and I will have mine at our Troop's Court of Honor.

To me it is important for the boys to see us also get recognition for the things we do. If you do this at a council event, they will have no idea of what you did to help better your pack/troop.

For District level I would also do it at your local troop/pack events that you are involved with.

Pack meeting and troop courts of honor are always good bets. It's important to the boys to see their leaders earning recognition as well, gives them the sense that "we're all in this together" when it comes to rank advancement and special training awards.

You do Wood Badge a service when having your beading in such a public way as well. The next course will benefit from your ceremony by possibly enlisting some of the other adults in your unit to attend.

Congrats on completing your ticket and earning your Wood Badge.

I got mine at Roundtable, as I wanted it done with my fellow scout leaders.

I was also working to get my ticket done and get beaded before I went to the 89 Jamboree. I wanted to be able to attend the WB Reunion there. I was so disappointed when I got there and learned they weren't going to have one (this after seeing the reunion patches from the previous 2 jamborees). We wound up having an unofficial gathering, and there was a small beading ceremony where 3-4 people got beaded by GBB himself, one being the wife of my troop's scoutmaster.

Next jamboree, no official reunion. And the unofficial one was sadden by the fact that GBB had just recently passed away the day before he was to travel to Denmark.

We haven't even had an unofficial WB gathering at any of the following jamborees to my knowledge...

• 1 month later...

Of the members of my patrol, 5 of the 6 had our beading ceremony during a district roundtable. That's where the largest number of scouters attended, and since we wanted to be beaded together, it was the best solution. Since I was district recruiting chair at the time, it was particularly special to me.

FYI, the 6th member of our patrol was the district executive, who received his beads at roundtable shortly before taking a higher position in scouting in another state. The roundtable location really worked for us.

As I said in an earlier post I had mine at my districts award banquet. Due to work commitments and and illnesses, only 2 members of my courses staff were able to attend, one is our district training chair. The CC of my course gave the speech and asked the district training chair and two other gentlemen he knew in the audience to make the presentation to the three of us. It just happened that the MC/entertainer for the night was my scoutmaster as a youth, and he was the one that presented me my beads.

• 4 weeks later...

My situation is different than yours. I have a choice to do my bead ceremony at either the District level event or Troop level event. But I picked our Troop's COH to have the ceremony. It is because our Troop has been around for 9 years and I am the very first person from this Troop to earn Wood Badge. It is not acceptable in my humble opinion.

Many of our adult volunteers are Eagle Scouts and they thought they know it all. I want to promote Wood Badge and other training to the adults in our Troop.

After all, every scout deserves a trained leader.

I will be getting my beads at our Blue and Gold Banquet this coming Saturday. I asked that it be done there, so that all the boys can see that even us, as leaders, are going thru classes and learning new things as well.

Since I started this thread, I should post an update about what happened.

We decided to do the presentation at our Blue and Gold in March (I know...) which is also when we hold our Bridging Over ceremony. We did the presentation during the dinner, so it didn't take up much extra time, and included my wife (a den leader) and son (a wolf), who actually put the beads on me. The ceremony was shortened up a little given the audience's attention span, but I think the cub scouts generally enjoyed the story about Baden-Powell, and that also fit in with some of the things they've been learning about B-P for the 100th anniversary.

I received unanimous support from the pack leadership for doing it at the B&G, and got only positive feedback from the parents, who seem to appreciate the time their leaders are putting into training.

-Melgamatic

Awesome, and congrats again.

I've been doing Regalia presentations a lot lately, I'll be staffing my 3rd course in 3 years in a couple of weeks, and in our council any staffer from any course is asked to help out with beadings from courses they weren't on.

I did one last night. I took my kudu (I'll be the SPL for our upcoming course WE4-45-1-09) and summoned the presentation to order. A friend who staffed the participants course and I did the presentations. This was at a troop CoH and this gentleman was the ONLY member of the unit who had attended WB. Now there are 8 more from that unit signed up for our Fall course. Awesome. Maybe next time there will be enough of us critters there to sing the song.

I have noticed a resistance lately to having presentations of the Wood Badge at Roundtables. One or two a year is great. One a month gets on the nerves of the RT commissioners I've found. While we as Wood Badge Staffers like to appeal to the greatest audience, we need to make sure we're also not alienating those we're there to serve.

Locally we've taken to convincing our participants to have their regalia presented at unit meetings and training activities. We still have one or two Roundtable presentations a year, but we're getting the message out to a broader audience.

My beading happened at a church.

Here is the amazing thing there were about 15 of us who were presented our beads at the same time. The CD arranged for a BP look a like so show up and had a smoke machine while BP talked to us about the importance of Wood Badge. It was great to be there with so many Scouters and Staff from the course including several of my brother Bears.