Mandatory Training rumors again

BrianScout

One of the other changes that our Council Commissioner said was coming is that more and more training is going to be available online.

He said that one big reason is that new (younger) leaders are getting their information from the internet and the BSA is responding to this.

I think another reason is the lack of consistency between council training and having this training online keeps the content the same.

This also frees up a shrinking training staff to do the courses that a more hands-on approach is required.

in reference to more standardize training, has anyone noticed how otehr organizations are doignthis as well? I just got certified as a BLS instructor with the AHA, and essentially the class is "taught" by a dvd, with the instructor basically reviewing how the students are doing the chest compressions and correcting them if needed, adminsitering the test, and doing the skills checkoff.

Fellow Scouters,

National has been moving to more standardized training for a while. But you can probably figure, that they wanted to be sure that online distance learning would take hold and be a preferred method. (which it has been catching on).

National has been standardizing training since Fast Start began on VHS in the early 80's. Ages and Stages go back to 91, then 97 before the NLE VHS version was released.

Also, similar to what anderle stated. Training has to be available. Although its an advanced course, Powderhorn; the only time I was able to register for a week long course about three years ago. I was registered (Paid in full) almost nine months out in another council, I think I was the first one registered and wanted to insure that I had a seat in the class. At three weeks to the course, I had to cancel my work vacation and travel plans after I received a full refund in the mail. I had to call the Powderhorn course director to find out why I received a full refund. Ends up, I was one of five Scouters to register for the course at the 30 day limit. I still have not yet been able to register for another weeklong Powderhorn course.

Again. Regarding mandatory training. I concur with certain course, for specific positions. But I continue to have issues about retraining.

I encourage retraining and currency. But if a unit has a good program, maintain YPT training, and read the Scouting magazine, Scouting.org webpage, and they read and review the leader handbooks regarding advancement or policy changes. Then why ask them to repeat an updated version of a class they've been trained on.

Heck. WB21C, is on its third or fourth edition. So everyone that attended before 2006 should attend again? Just to obtain the 1 or 2 sessons that have been added or changed?

I would vote no. Just coach them on the changes, and call them "Trained".

I would expect the same with "This is Scouting" and any other basic level training. Coach fellow Scouters on the changes, and continue to call them "Trained".

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I agree position specific training should be mandatory but retraining should not be. Usually the changes are minimal & can be handled via updates & not requiring attendance at a new training session.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Why is it that we worry so much about things we can't change, and in this case, isn't even a reality yet?

Until I see something in writing, these "rumors" are just that: rumors.

Until its a reality, why in the world does anyone waste even a thought about it?

Starting around 1989 or so and right up to 1999 or so, Pine Tree Council had mandatory training in place. You had a year to get (what was then called) basic training completed. If not, you were not allowed to recharter with your unit.

Yes, we lost some leaders, but we had a stronger program with adults who got/understood what scouting was about.

Then our council leadership changed and mandatory training went away. Since then, we've had to deal with many Webelos III Scout Troops, "Good Ol' Boy Units" (No Female Leaders allowed), violations of the Guide to Safe Scouting and so on. We've seen units splinter due to disagreements between those who get the program (and are trained) and those that don't (and aren't trained). We've watched those splinters die off. It's created a huge headache/backlog of tasks for our commissioner staff, some of whom have left due to being overwhelmed. We now have units that don't have a commissioner 'cause we can't find anyone in that part of our rural district to take the job.

Many of the "fires" our overburdened commissioner staff are trying to put out would be solved with mandatory training.

I hope this rumor is true and it comes back. It's sad that we have to make it mandatory to get people to go. But it works. I've been there and done that. I went through training while at college in another state in order to stay on my home town troop's roster.