John-in-KC said: "If second weekend is fast pace, I'd hate to think how you'd do in one of the units I serve or in my day job."

I'm not trying to start an argument, but you seem to be trying to. I'm trying to be both Courteous and Kind in my posts here, but you seem to be trying to insult me in return. I've got three young children, manage a small IT firm, am a cubmaster for a new Pack, and run a side business as well. I have some experience in what a fast pace is like. The feedback on feeling rushed was not just my own, but common amongst the many other attendees I chatted with after the first weekend. We stayed in cabins the first weekend, but we did have a regular dedicated patrol site where we cooked most of our own patrol's meals after the first day.

I can't comment on how other wood badge courses are run or should be run, since this was the first and only one I have attended. I enjoyed the training and the overall experience. I'd recommend it to other scout leaders who want to sharpen their leadership skills and deepen their commitment to serving youth through the Boy Scouts.

YiS,

Rick

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing that my Council did that I thought was helpful was we had an intro to WB class at our University of Scouting this past January. The CD presented it, offered a good overview of what was goin

Something tells me more than a few Councils have their own spin on implementing the course, no matter how many CD's give an oath to precisely follow the syllabus.

All I will say is our class had a grand time weekend 2. We did the round robin of patrol projects, we visited with our TG about tickets, and we had a couple classes, but really, what we had was a weekend to rest.

John, it may well be that your CD skipped out on some of what was actually supposed to happen, while mine and Rick's CD ran things according to the syllabus with exactness. I can assure you that the 43 people in my course did not "rest" on weekend 2. I had my tickets done upon arrival on morning 4, and still kept very busy the entire time on weekend 2. The one day my patrol had some ticket time we were service patrol, so two of us that were done with tickets allowed the others time to finsih while we assumed the service patrol duties.

You have to factor in other things too like layout of the camp and how long it takes to get to some of the different places the schedule has laid out for the participants. Where is the chapel in relation to Gilwell Field, how far out is a patrol's camp from where PLC is held, or how far of a walk from Charterhouse to Gilwell Field, how far from camp to the showers, or to the campfire area? If one is at a large spread out camp, then the travel alone to the various areas is very time consuming. On evening 5 my patrol was so beat up we just decided that if another patrol came and invited us somewhere we would be gracious and go. If not, then we were going to do what Bobwhites do best, and hide in the bushes and the trees and recover.............which is exactly what we did.

We didn't have a lot of down time on the second weekend, but it certainly was manageable. Overall, a fun experience. Go in with a positive attitude and an open mind, and you will do fine.

I used to be an Owl....(This message has been edited by AnniePoo)