Since there is alot of Woodbadgers here, can anyone provide tips on how to prepare for Woodbadge? I hear that when some people goes to Woodbadge, they do things that new leaders has no idea what is going on.. Ceremonies that seems to pop out of no where. I have been to alot of Roundtables and ceremonies that I do not recogize the songs or promises..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing that my Council did that I thought was helpful was we had an intro to WB class at our University of Scouting this past January. The CD presented it, offered a good overview of what was goin

As a Cub Scout leader with no Boy Scout experience, I wasn't prepared to recite all of the Boy Scout stuff. I also wasn't familiar with the patrol method. However, it wasn't a problem and I had a great time. Although I'm learning a lot about myself as I work my ticket, one of the best things to come out of my course was the contacts I've made with other WB participants. My fellow OWLs have already been a great source of information for me.

Overall, a good experience, even with 8 inches of rain and nearby tornadoes the second weekend.

If you have enough time before your Wood Badge experience I suggest you review the different Scouting programs. Their methods and program.

Above all go to WB with an open mind and a quest for learning. You should already be trained in your current Scouting position. Go for the learning but enjoy the fun. Make new friends! If your patrol is any thing like mine you will grow very close to your patrol mates.

Great topic RD. I was just having this discussion today with one of my fellow course mates in WB21C. In our LDS Stake there is a big push right now for WB Training. The problem is that 95% of the guys that are being encouraged to go to WB have not even completed Basic Training. As my friend and I were discussing this, the thought came up that a bunch of these guys presumably are going to go to Wood Badge in about 18 months for a spring 2010 course. We talked about 3 of the 4 men that have been to Wood Badge in this Stake doing a little orientation session for the large group of participants. Not to blow the contents of the course and send them overly prepared, but just to alleviate any fears or concerns, and get them excited. When I first went in 1997 as a 20 something feller, I was not well prepared, and it was a little overwhelming to me quite frankly. If folks can go to WB well prepared, I think they will enjoy the course much more than stessing out over all of the little things. A few of my fellow Bobwhites right now are really stressed over the ticket, because they had not given any thought whatsoever to this beforehand. I know there are probably "Wood Badge purists" on here that think the tickets should come by osmosis or revelation during the course, but participants are so darned busy during the course that it is extremely difficult. The Scout Motto is..............

The only required training is that you have completed the basic training for your program.

One thing that I think is recommended, but not required, is that everyone take Intro to Outdoor Leader Training, which is boy scout training. This would probably help the non-Boy Scout people who don't have camping experience, plus I believe it would be an intro to the patrol method as well. I know on the Venturing side we sometimes recommend the same thing for Venturing leaders who don't already have camping experience.

The training required is dependent upon your PRIMARY registered position. Primary is the one that you pay the registration fees. Many people are dual-enrolled. Den leaders, whether they're Tiger, Cub or Webelos, need Den Leader specific training. The only positions that require Intro to outdoor Skills are SM, ASM, Varsity Coach, Varsity Asst. Coach.

Wood badge uses the patrol method through the majority of the material. I would get a basic idea of how that works and how a troop is supposed to function before attending.

Thanks for all the info, I am also belong to an LDS Group and I am starting a Varsity Patrol, but except for the Comittee and Scout Master, noone else has any experience. I am trying to push my scouts to become more Scouts than LDS Scouters.

Example our stake has pushed that all scout troops should be going to Scout Camporees instead of LDS Camporees since most scouts will not show up for LDS Scout Camps(not challenging enough).

SO I am getting Woodbadge this fall, to change the thinking and operation from LDS Adult to Scout Youth control, aka Patrol Method.

rdcrisco, that's great that you're making the effort to get trained. I was a troop guide on the last course my council held. One of the patrol members is a Scoutmaster of an LDS unit. I learned a lot about LDS units and he learned a lot about what options he had to get his Scouts more involved with non-LDS Scout events. Good luck!

"I am also belong to an LDS Group and I am starting a Varsity Patrol, but except for the Comittee and Scout Master, noone else has any experience. I am trying to push my scouts to become more Scouts than LDS Scouters."

Actually, you're not starting a Varsity Patrol, but a Varsity Scout Team, which is a separate unit from a Boy Scout Troop. While Varsity Scouts are for boys 14-18, the LDS Church only uses them for boys 14-15.

The issues you seem to be seeing is something that others amount LDS Scouters have seen. They are trying to get the church to change things such that those called to be scout leaders are going to be there long enough to get the training and do a good job. When I was at PTC for Venturing week, we had someone speak to us about Venturing and LDS, and he touched on some of these issues.

The Outdoor Leader Skills (OLS) program was designed for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders, and is a pre-requisite for these leaders attending WB.

In our council, Webelos Leaders are required to take Outdoor Webelos Leader (OWL), and other Cub Scout leaders are (strongly) encouraged to take Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).

"The Outdoor Leader Skills (OLS) program was designed for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders, and is a pre-requisite for these leaders attending WB. "

Sorry, no.

OLS was only designed for Boy Scout leaders and is only required for them (they need it to be considered 'basic trained'). It's intended to give Boy Scout leaders the outdoor skills thru First Class.

Its recommended for other leaders (cub scout, webelos scouts, and venturing), but not required. Its a good recommendation that those leaders take it before they go thru WB if they don't have outdoor skills, as well as for PH. But the only required courses for WB is whatever is required for basic training for your program, whatever it may be.

I do enought training in Venturing to know what is and is not required.

We have opinions and mine are those of someone looking in from the outside.

There really should be some prerequisites and time in grade requirements before going to Wood Badge.

A friend is a DL and just registered as a ASM this summer when one son crossed into Boy Scouts. He hasn't done any Boy Scout Leader Training yet but is trained in his primary position of DL.

Someone told him to take Wood Badge so he signed up. He's like a duck out of water. Was really confused about why everyone was shaking hands with their left hand. Never heard about the Patrol Method, to him a patrol is just like a den. Knows nothing about Boy Scouting.

He's struggling and will survive but I think that it would be easier going if he finished Boy Scout leader training and maybe spent a year with his son's troop.

While of course no Wood Badge course Director would ever dream of not following what is supposed to be done and not done, what is required and what isn't!!

The best bet if you plan on attending is before you go call the CD and ask any questions or go over any concerns you might have.

I will bet my bottom dollar that he or she will be more than glad to go over it all with you.

I'm also sure that if you go? That you will find lots of others there who are able to help you with any of the stuff that you don't know.

It's worth bearing in mind that it is a Training.

If everyone knew everything before the course, there really wouldn't be any point in having the course.

Eamonn

CD

NE-IV-153

"There really should be some prerequisites and time in grade requirements before going to Wood Badge.

"A friend is a DL and just registered as a ASM this summer when one son crossed into Boy Scouts. He hasn't done any Boy Scout Leader Training yet but is trained in his primary position of DL.

"He's struggling and will survive but I think that it would be easier going if he finished Boy Scout leader training and maybe spent a year with his son's troop."

You'll get no argument from me on that point. I think having both your basic training under your belt and about 6mo-1 year in position would be better before going to WB.

Sadly, if you mention that concept to others they get bent out of shape and think you're trying to bring back the old days of 'elitist WB' and the like (when you had to wait years before you could get an invite).

To me its more along the lines of 'take some training, put it to use, repeat': take fast start, put it to use, take basic training, put it to use, maybe take some supplemental training, put it to use, take WB, put it to use, take some more supplemental training, put it use, etc.

"The best bet if you plan on attending is before you go call the CD and ask any questions or go over any concerns you might have."

How is a new guy supposed to know what questions to ask?

As for me, since I plan to never take the course, it is all moot.