I am a Varsity Scout Coach and I am trying to get the TRAINED badge, but my council does not have any Varsity specific leader training, so should I just do the ASM and SM? I want to be able to do Woodbadge next year, so I need the Trained before I do.

Thanks,

Robert

I suggest you present the question to your District Training Chair, or District Executive. While they may not offer it, suggest that someone from the training committee do a one on one with you, or ask if you purchase the syllabus and self train if they will acknowledge it. I self trained for COR, and now they've asked me to do a COR training for the District. It has to start somewhere!

Sometimes self-training is the only route to go. A number of years ago our Council offered no Webelos Outdoor training. A buddy of mine got the syllabus and taught ourselves and went on to lead the training for another 6 years until it was established enough that the council wanted to take it over. Surprisingly they did accept as valid our training, even if they weren't doing the training.

Stosh

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the question. If we do not have any leaders trained as Varsity leaders, can we still award the scout(s) the Varsity awards? I keep getting mixed information that I can not do the awards without approval from a Varsity leader.

Like you can not have a troop without a scout master.

There is a difference between having leaders trained, and leaders chartered, so which are we talking about? Without leaders chartered, you really don't have an actual Team. With untrained leaders on your charter, you at least have the bones of a unit. Untrained leaders will present some problems to your outdoor program, but not advancement. A Scoutmaster's level of training has nothing to do with him conducting a Scoutmaster's conference and presenting a boy to a BOR for a rank advancement. Likewise one's level of training as a Varsity Coach does not affect a boy's ability to advance in the program. The flip side of that is every boy deserves a trained leader, but you have already indicated you are desirous to be trained and you're working on that. Let that Team Captain and those Program Managers have the ball and run with it.