Planning and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training

I was getting a copy of the local tour permit from my council's web site.

http://www.cnyscouts.org/forms/Local%20Tour%20Permit.pdf

This is a new form that was revised December 2007.

one of the new things I noticed was:

Effective for tours on January 1, 2009, at least one adult must have completed Planning and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training.

Has anyone seen the Syllabus for this or has it been offered in your council yet?

I believe that what they are referring to is the Weather Hazards course under the E-Learning section of My Scouting, on the National Website. When you take the course the top of it says, Planning And Preparing For Hazardous Weather. It is under the general tab in the online training area.(This message has been edited by talen333)

Yah, it's an online e-learning course, CNY. Takes about 40 minutes or so.

Then again, maybe there's a need to complete Planning and Preparing for (Hazardous Weather Training). You know, da stuff you need for training, how to make your BSA-incompatible computer actually access da training, makin' sure your BSA ID# links up so your trainin' gets recorded, etc. ;)

B

I was not aware that this training exists. We have a course this fall and discussed our plans if we had to deal with a hurricane(s). The CD is a county employee and would have to report to the bunker if emergency evacuations are called. After careful consideration, we realized that the course would be cancelled anyhow because everyone, not just the CD, would be evacuating or boarding up their houses.

• 1 month later...

I'm taking the hazardous weather course through the E-Learning system, and it is embarassing.

I thought the Venturing YP course was bad enough (what's with the comic book characters?), but this is worse. Stick figures, hard-to-load animations and super-simple questions do not equal good training!

Yeah that course it really glitchy. It usually fouls up around module 7. I took it at least 10 times from 1-7 before it allowed me to finish. I now know as much about the weather as the fellow on the 6:00 news.

Make sure you are running the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. Depending on the capabilities of your computer you may need to close other applications to free up some resources. I just took the training without a single glitch, it took about 50 minutes.

Yes, its basic information but its a start and the information is accurate and still useful even though basic. Never assume that everyone knows the basics. We have all seen evidence that such an presumption is not accurate.