I am Cow, I pass Gas...

Methane Gas pours out my MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

And out my muzzle when I belch

Oh the Ozone Layer's thinner

from the product of my dinner

I am Cow, I am Cow,

I've got Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssss!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going to church doesn't save me. No earthly work saves me. Only the miracle of faith worked by Christ in his death and resurrection saves me.

I still go to church, though. Humans are social animals. Good people reinforce the good corners of my life. Listening to the Pastor preach, I learn something.

It's the same thing with any well-prepared and presented training. When I am the trainer, if I do my prep right, I learn something new before I hit the training site. I can't tell you how many insights I've learned from my students!

When I'm a student in training, the content may or may not matter, the expansion of my personal network always matters.

I'm going to stop there. Anything else I'd say will be an overt ad hominem attack.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were actually 3 staffers from Lone Star who would take this as a "staff road show" to the other two camps of HRB. It tended to be sung on their schedule, not necessarily on the food schedule.

They went and bought anatomically correct cow costumes.

OGE, I think the Bull was from another one of Johns songs- maybe it has to due with his Mid-western location, but John certainly shows some affection for the bovine-types. Unless of course, by No Bull, you really meant No $*%#! And naturally, like every other thread here, this one has gone all over the barnyard!(This message has been edited by local1400)

Goldie,

Nobody ever said you were "unworthy to be a Scouter" at least not me.

"sex with another man" where did that come from?

Like closing your hand in a car door you don't have to experience something to imagine how bad something is. Is that what you're trying to say?

Wood Badge isn't like that.

99 44/100's percent of WB is attitude. After going on about flatulence, homosexuality, insulting Catholic tradition,BSA giving and wasting your money, I think you may not be a good candidate. Period. In fact you already can't stand the song, well you sing it every morning at WB.

I've taken WB and SMF, SMF is 2 nights for 3 hours. You don't really get to work with your classmates. Alot of the aloofness(is that a word?) about WB is that people don't want to tell you about things before you experience it for yourself. Would you want to sit through a 2 hour movie such as "Departed" if I told you how it ended? Do you want my perception of what will happen at your course? Maybe your instuctors will be better than mine. You're not supposed to know about the "exam" before you take it.

You may call me an elitist, you are so wrong.

You asked for concrete examples, I gave you three.

Less permanent examples were the smiles on the faces of the boys that I saw when completing the goals that made my ticket. The only place they remain is with the boys, maybe they will think back when they pass them on.

As for what I do for the Council and the district, there's another example of you talking about something you know nothing about.

The way I see it you could go and maybe have a great time, maybe your 5 goals would make a tremendous impact on the Scouts you serve. Maybe you'd change a kid's life. Maybe you would go and teach your Patrol mates a thing or two that you know.

Heck, you could go, have a good experience and still say you thought it was a waste. As the C&W song says, "You can feel bad if it makes you feel better..."

You don't have to agree with me to be right. I'm wrong about alot of things. When it comes to WB and the vast majority that attend they don't think their time or money was wasted.

In fact let's ask.

When I did SMF it was six evening sessions along with two weekend out door sessions. We were formed into patrols on day one and functioned that way for the entire course, including at least three patrol meeting outside of the course.

It may be a good thing that you enjoyed your class. Maybe my view is tainted by the council wood badge staff who waggled his beads at me and said, "This is why you go to Wood Badge, to get these so the boys will know that you care."

"so the boys know you care"

That person was a jerk. Not a good positive way to recruit for a good experience.

Evade that person like the plague.

Please don't let that idiot(who waved his beads at you) cloud your view of a good course.

A(n) (fill in your favorite un-Scoutlike term) that teaches or takes WB is still a(n) (fill in) only after he completes his ticket he has two wooden beads that the founder hoped meant brotherhood, service,fun, doing your best, the boys being first, last and "always", sharing your knowledge and giving.

Go for it GW, don't let that person sour you on the exerience or keep you from the joy of my 3 examples or whatever good you may find or share with others. Take the course but find out first if that guy is on staff, he would be worth grabbing a friend of yours and road tripping to another council to stay away from him.

The boys know if you care beads or no beads.

Best wishes.

WOW! We go from WB to boring sermons to sex! Quite a wide variety!

Christ preached quite a bit & many listened. And let's not forget the Apostles who did the same & many listened.

I took the old course (NE-V-120). Loved it! Had a great time! Learned tons!

If ya haven't taken WB, how do you know what it is about, GW? You seem to think one person waving their WB beads in your face represents the course. Wrong! If ya wanna know what you will learn at WB, take the course. That is the only true way you will know. But it seems you have already made up your mind to not try to improve your Scouting self. Too bad.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

I tend to do most of my thinking when I'm out walking the dogs or mowing grass. Investing in a couple of cows and the odd goat might cut down on the time I spend?

Sometimes I ask myself "Why they do that?". Sometimes I ask why "Why don't they do that?"

When it comes to me.I can either talk myself into doing something or argue with myself and find reasons for not doing it.

Sometimes the reasons and the arguments don't make sense to anyone other than me!

Sometimes I convince myself that something is what I want to do and should do, but end up not doing it anyway!

Sometimes I tell myself that I'm not going to do something and end up doing it.

When I first took WB, I had no real interest in taking the course. In fact I only took it because it was required for me to take it in order that I could attend the 1975 World Jamboree as an Assistant Scout Leader. (I was Scouting in the UK.)

When I was first asked to serve as a staff member for a course, I was very much focused on me having that third bead!! It wasn't until I attended the first development weekend that I seen that there was real meaning to what I was about to do.

Back when I first got my first set of beads I was a very cocky little fellow!! I wanted to show everyone, especially all the old timers that I too was a member of that "Wood Badge Club"

I have staffed courses where it seemed to me that the Scoutmaster /Cubmaster hasn't really understood what we were about? I have staffed courses where the add ons seemed to overshadow the course.

Me being me, and being as egotistical as I am, knew that if given the opportunity to direct a course that I'd do a far better job.

When the opportunity did come I like to think I did a good job.

I'm not sure why the all the people who signed up and participated in the course did so?

Sure we can sit back and spout all the good reasons why they should but these might not be why?

Some attended because someone else was attending.

Some maybe just wanted to find out what all the fuss was about.

Some were the "Training Junkies" who attend anything!!

Hard as it might be to find out why the people who did attend went? Finding out why others opted not to attend is even harder.

One older Scouter informed me that he wasn't going to attend because of the females!

I'm sure some people choose not to attend because they just didn't like me or maybe some-other staff member. Some of these people will maybe attend at some other time, some will use this as their reason for never attending.

At this time here in the USA attending WB is not mandatory. (It was AND maybe still is in the UK?).

I don't look down my nose at people who don't have a set of beads hanging from their neck. In fact most times I don't take any notice.

Different people have their own reasons and their own excuses for doing and not doing what they do.

I do get a little upset when people judge others for attending or not attending. Most times we don't have enough information to be form a fair judgments and it really is none of anyones business.

I think it's fair to say that nearly all of the people I know who have taken WB seem to have had a good time and have came away saying that they have learned something. Many might be on a "Training High"? How much they take back and use in the units or other places where they serve? Is of course unknown.

Back when I was serving as a Council Training Chairman, I did spend a lot of time trying to improve the number of trained leaders that we had in the council. Part of this was a numbers game, but I also whole heartedly believed that adults who had been through the BSA training's were more than lightly to do a better job than those who hadn't.

At this moment in time I would like to take Sea Badge, but have in my opinion no real need to take Powder Horn.

Friends of mine have taken the Powder Horn and speak very highly of it. But as yet I have talked myself into not needing it. Other have said that Sea Badge isn't that great, but I want to take it anyway!!

Ea.

Maybe my view is tainted by the council wood badge staff who waggled his beads at me and said, "This is why you go to Wood Badge, to get these so the boys will know that you care."

Isn't that more or less the same reason why you wear your adult knots?...

I found it quite amusing that a Wood Badge thread turned into a discussion about anatomically correct cow costumes.

When I took Wood Badge 2 of the staffer would do a MOO MOO skit thingie everyday, it was funny until about the 4th time, it was getting old the last time they did it they where in anatomically correct cow costumes. It cracked almost everyone up. A couple of people did not think it was funny.

No Bull!