In regard to costs. I don't know about other councils, but ours does have a limited number of camperships for those in need. Also, our old Pack committee passed a resolution to pay half of the cost of WB if funds were available. I realize not every unit would do this and some would even frown on it. The possibility of a unit deciding to do this usually happens after a good number of leaders have attended WB, see the value in the training and realize that it is a cost that actually benefits the unit in particular and scouting in general. We had six WB'ers in the Pack when we passed that resolution.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly my point, SR540Beaver.

When people begin to see the benefits, the costs start to become secondary, and ways are paved to bring scouters to Wood Badge.

Remember, you can't put a price on the look in the eyes of just one boy who takes Boy Scouting and runs with it. "Every boy deserves a well-trained leader"

Our unit has come up with similar financial assistance programs to get those leaders trained!

Eagle Pete

eagle-pete

I don't think I was very clear.

What I was trying to say is that in some ways, I'm a contradiction.

Having read some of the postings that gwd-scouter

has posted. I think at this time he might spend what time he has available to work with the Troop.

I'm in much the same boat with the unit I serve, but here's the contradiction.

I'm not practicing what I preach, by attending the advanced course for Sea Scouter's.

Did you ever see the episode of West Wing, where President Bartlet walks up to the hill?

There is a fantastic line in it which goes something like:

What do call a leader with no followers?

A Guy taking a walk.

Wood Badge is a great course, but if by attending the unit is going to suffer and maybe die. There is no point in attending.

It is a course about leadership -If there is no one to lead, it just becomes adults having a good time.

Eamonn.

Eamonn, I got the distinct impression that gwd-scouter is a woman, to quote, "it has been especially nice to hear from you ladies out there and about your experience with Woodbadge." Reading some of her other posts have also given me that idea.

I also didn't get the impression that her troop is teetering on the brink of oblivion, but that she is very focused on their success and how to implement the program most effectively and get the most bang for her buck. In my humble opinion, this may be the perfect time for her to get involved with Wood Badge.

But that's just me.

Vicki

Yes folks. I'm a girl! Talked with a few Woodbadgers at roundtable last night. Many of them offered the same advice I've read here. Most encouraged me to sign up immediately. But, one Scouter who knows me well over these many Scouting years offered a different perspective - one that is very similar to what Eamonn posted.

His concern was that I am devoting so much time and energy to moving our Troop forward, that adding one more time consuming project (two 3-day weekends plus working the ticket, etc.) may just be too much. He expressed concern that I would burn-out and that would be the worst thing for my Troop.

And, while my troop is no longer teetering on the brink of oblivion (that was last year), we are having our struggles and growing pains. But improvements are being made, slowly but surely.

I just wanted advice on whether this was the right time for me to take woodbadge and I thank you all for your posts.

After reading your posts, talking with the good folks at roundtable last night and, most especially, discussing with my husband, I think I'll have to wait and think about taking the course in 2007.

Hi gwd, I haven't offered much because Eamonn expressed my thoughts. But I would suggest your troop consider sending other adults, expecially the CC. This is a very good course in team building, team leadership and understanding the importance of Vision. A CC will come back a much better team leader and likely increase your ability to Scoutmaster. Together you two might become a powerful force for the program and the families of your Troop.

Barry

Well, 2007 will probably be a very good year too! Have to admit, if I hadn't already taken Wood Badge, between adult leader training staff, NYLT P&P and doing the advancement stuff and outings for our troop (along w/new CC and SM) my DH might seriously question my sanity. Well, he kinda already does but he's decided to go along for the ride. This is probably a good choice for you. But I hope you make time in your Scouting calendar for it, instead of putting it off waiting for a round tuit.

Vicki

Curses!!!! ANOTHER woman!!! ;) Just kidding gwd. My WB Troop Guide was female and if it wasn't for her and her husband, one of the council campgrounds wouldn't be the great facility it is. The Course Director for the WB I'm staffing this fall is another woman of great value to our council.

Do what is right for you. You'll know when the time is right. I'll urge you to go and go as soon as you can. You will not regret it. I'll even promise you. But you need to do it when the time is right. I do like Barry's suggestion to send your CC in the mean time if possible. You can focus on the program side while they work on strengthening the support structure. A good CC is worth their weight in gold.

Hi all,

Based on the training offered in our area, I can understand being concerned as to the value of any BSA training. That said, I've heard that Wood Badge is actually put on by a professional training company, hired by BSA.

Is that true? And if so, does anyone know who is the provider.

Thanks,

Novice Cubmaster

The professional training company was contracted by BSA to develop the training material. It is BSA training material and the training is put on by BSA volunteers on a council level. The training company also provided training for the trainers. I believe BSA pays a fee to this company each time the material is used. I don't know the legal terms here, but they apparently still have the copyright or a shared copyright, or something like that. (I asked why we couldn't get printed copies of the outlines and was told this.)

My understanding is also that the copyright on the material is up this year (2006) after which BSA owns the material.

gwd, you did say something about "filling a quota" in your council and maybe that's another reason for the pressure to go. I don't know about yours, but my council fills up at least a couple of months before the training starts, so there's no need to fill any quota.

Vicki

Vicki

The copyright fee currently is $400 for the course. It used to be $15 per participant so if you had a full course of 40 that would have been $600..

Hey gwd-scouter..if the timing of your course is bad, you can always come up here for our course, which runs the Sept 8-10th and Sept30-Oct 2nd and the cost is $190!! ;) I still think it would help you in your quest to reach the BLT quick, but then that's JMO!!

Sue M.

gwd,

From my experience last fall, there is an "optimum" load: 8 patrols of six students per (everyone gets to be PL once).

The Council where I attended ran their first 8 patrol operation, and ran 7 patrols of 7 and one of 6. They are still using the 64 student load model.

Sometimes, you may get pressure because a Scouting friend is on staff. One of the things I've noticed is Patrol Guides seem to have to get out there and help find candidates.

Whenever you take it, you'll enjoy it :)

John

A Good Old Owl Too

C-40-05

Working my ticket...

The course was developed by a team of Scouter's.

I met with some of them when I attended the NE-Region Course Directors course a few years back at Camp Alpine.

The King of Sweden joined us for lunch.

The copyright fee covers the cost of the movies and music.

Some of the material did come from Ken Blanchard and was used under license, it is my understanding that the license agreement ran out last year.

National and the Region does have a minimum number of participants that you need to have in order to present the course, the Region can if they like allow a course to go on if there is a good reason why the minimum has not been met.

Our cluster has had to cancel courses due to lack of participants.

This is a real shame, the dead line is 30 days before the start of the course. By which time the staff have already spent a lot of time and effort preparing the course.

Each and every member of staff is charged with recruiting as many people as they can.

Eamonn

CD- NE-IV-153