Enternal difficulties with CM

I'm not new to scouting just new to leadership. Our cub scout pack has had trouble in the past but everyone is trying their best to eleminate some of the issues. All leaders are having difficulties with CM. It seem that all leaders are doing work and planning for all activities relating to pack organized meetings even planning parties have been dumped on leaders. I don't mind helping because utimatelly it is for the boys not CM. However the CM gets all the praise even our DE is praising her. To be quite honest our cubmaster hasn't even been trained as CM. While the rest of us have been trained and are going to pow wow this year. Does anyone have any ideas on how to motivate the CM?

Our problems are with missing money, boys not getting awards, and planning that envolves months of work only to find out that CM didn't do it. Leaders pick up the ball and do it. I'm just flusterated about the whole thing. This is not what scouts are about and I want to change this current sprial of things.

The problems you describe seem to revolve around responsibilities that the CM should not have. She should not handle money, advancements, or plan parties. Those jobs belong to members of the pack committee (treasurer, advancement coordinator, activities coordinator). They also do not belong to den leaders! The committee chair is responsible for making sure these supporting functions are being handled in a timely manner by committee members (who are NOT den leaders). So, does your pack have a committee?

In our pack the leaders make up the pack committee. We do not have a lot of parents that get involved. I wish they would but we can't change them. However I'm introducing BSA family program to try in my den. I thought this would make parents understand they need to be there for their child. I'm confused on how to get our pack on track with so many issues. All leaders are going a great job but enternal problems are my concern. They boys could get so much more out of scouting if things were worked out.

Ideally, den leaders and the Cubmaster are not committee members.

The Cubmaster should really act as an emcee for pack meetings and help coordinate the activities but the dens should supply the "meat." If an outside organization orentertainment is to be brought in (done way to much in my estimation), the pack committee should handle that.

In my pack, yes the DLs and CM attend committee meetings but we do have a CC, Sec, Treasurer, Advancement Chair, etc.

In my troop it is a little more formal, with much more parental involvement due to more $$$ and travel, etc.

Do you have a Committee Chair you could talk to?

How about a Unit Commissioner? If you don't have a Unit Commissioner, contact your Assistant District Commissioner for Cub Scouting. That person should be able to help you.

The BSA Family Program is great. I wish more people would look into it.

You may also try getting the parents from your den to attend committee meetings. Talk up the Cub Scout leader book, training, pow wow and such in front of the Cubmaster. Maybe "suggest for her sake" that someone else is appointed as Treasurer -- to "take the pressure off the CM". Make it sound like it is all to make her life easier.

How much longer do you think she will be there? Will she leaves when her son does?

Has the CM assumed the role of the CC as well?

Or, are you presuming that she should because she's the CM?

The point is, unless the CM has indicated that she will perform the function of the CC, no one should assume that she will, or even expect her to try. Her main focus should be the pack meetings. Special events, finances, purchasing awards, and other similar functions are the responsibility of the pack committee. If a pack committee does not exist, the CM should not be blamed for that fact. If she's receiving accolades for the work of others, I can understand your irritation with her. Nevertheless, if she's coordinating and presiding over the pack meetings, then she's doing her job.

CM has not told anyone to my knowledge any way. The Assitant CM is new too. She too are like the leaders. She discourages us from going to roundtable meetings. She didn't want to go to pow wow until the DE suggested that she needed to. Not sure if she will though. Most of all I think we just need to be more organized so that the boys can get the most out of being a cub scout. About pack committee to be honest none us really are sure of the duties. This is the first year that the pack start the committee. However, if leaders come up with an idea it is just forgot about and when she comes up with the ideas the leaders all pitch-in to accomplish the task at hand. CM has hinted that she may quit even sometime this scouting year but no one is fully sure of her intentions.

Go with sctmom's advice and contact your unit commissioner, district commissioner or district executive and explain your concerns to them. They are all very interested in seeing your pack succeed and that isn't possible unless leadership is working together as a team. In the meantime, don't make yourself crazy with worry. Do your best to provide your den with the best tiger cub year possible.

Since tiger activities require the scouts' adult partners to participate, this gives you ample opportunity to evaluate the parents' potential as leaders at the den or pack level. The best way to get effective volunteer leadership is to personally recruit the best-qualified person. One on one over coffee explaining what the job is and why they are the best person. Good luck!