Online trainings and proof of doing them

I have found various trainings online. I know you can take Fast Start for each area (Cubs, Boy Scouts, Venturing, etc). I have done my YPT online. I have also found Safe Swim Defense & Safety Afloat online http://www.scouting.org/pubs/aquatics/index2.html . You get (or at least used to) a card for YPT online.

Do any of the other trainings give some sort of documentation to prove that you took them?

Has anyone taken the Safe Swim & Safety Afloat and does this qualify as adequate training? Our District trainer has said she really prefers this version vs. the video version we get from our Council.

I have taken the class room version of both of the water related classes, and the online version. the two classes are both well done and there is little difference except for the disscussions that will ocurr in the classroom version.

Robert L. DeWitt

WEBELOS II Den Leader

Pack 49 Den 1

WEBELOS to Scouts Chair

Ogeechee District

ASM Troop 12

Chickasaw District

Georgia Carolina Council

Augusta, Ga

I used to be a good Ole Bear SR-691

None of the Fast Start Trainings have documentation.

Youth Protection & Safe Swim/Safety Afloat all have a print out certificate. In order to have the information go to your council you need to know exactly how your name is in Scoutnet so having your current membership card is a help.

I have taken both the on-line & in person versions of Safe Swim/Safety Afloat. They are both good & a bit different. The on-line is nice because you can go back to it, although you do get handouts with the in person.

One note of caution - Before you assume you are trained with the on-line Safe Swim, check with your council. Mine prefers that the in person version be used for qualification purposes.

When I did my YPT and SS and SA on line I needed my National membership number. I check with the council and they got the conformation that I had taken the training within a month after I took it.

I took SSD and SA online -- it never asked for my member ID. All it asked for was my name, unit number and Council.

I saved my printout in PDF format in case I ever lose my card. I like the electronic confirmation.

I took YPT on-line & they e-mailed my the card via a PDF attachment (not sure if that's the correct terminology), which I printed out & laminated with the self-laminated things you can buy at Wal-Mart. When I did the Safety Afloat & Safe Swim on-line a PDF document popped up afterward, which I saved & I had to print out & I printed out several copies because with the Safe Swim you had to sign the bottom part & send it in to your council office. I cut out those cards & laminated them too! I believe these are the only on-line training classes that you get the "cards" for as proof. You should still get a card for YPT on-line, I did mine last year.

Judy