how hard is it to get an invite to philmont training

From what I think I understand from reading on the Philmont website you have to be invited to attend the trainings. Am I wrong? How hard is it to get an invite? I don't expect my council to pay my way. Was looking at going not this summer but next and doing something related to webelos as I will then be moving into the webelos leader spot.

My DE saw me at a recent campout and suggested that I write him a letter requesting training at Philmont. I had met him before but to consider myself an insider would be a strecth. A big strecth. I deferred his offer to another summer, as I was taking wood badge this year and my vacation time is limited.

So I don't think its that hard.

As a former District Training Chair, we were asked for name suggestions every year, and whatever names we submitted got an invitation. If you are interested, let your District Training Guy know that you are a) interested, b) able to go, and c) what course you want to attend. I don't think there's any limit to how many names can be submitted. Most people who get invited don't or can't accept due to cost or work schedules.

lyncc:

Let me second Fuzzy Bear's suggestion. I've been involved in two different Councils and have been extended four invitations to attend PTC (three were at my request; the last came unrequested).

I've been to PTC twice, both as a result of district or council-level functions. Everyone I met at the two courses were also there as a result of district or council-level responsibilities.

Because slots are limited, I assume (but can't swear) that district & council-level volunteers get priority over unit-level volunteers. I don't think PTC makes that determination -- I think they basically accept anyone the council submits -- so you need to convince your council to accept you and submit your name to PTC.

But my experience has been that a simple request to your DE is all it takes. But once you've been to PTC, my council(s) expects me to share that knowledge with others in the district or council. That (plus the limited number of slots) is why I think its tougher for unit-level volunteers to get in, although it isn't impossible.

If you were the Webelos-to-Scout transition chair for your district's Membership Committee (for example), you'd probably be a shoo-in for a slot.

Good luck,

Fred Goodwin

Alamo Area

I thought I would ask you guys cause my DE is at a week long training planning thing and is not available. Will try and speak with him next Tues or Wed.

BW- I was thinking along the lines of:

1. putting pizzazz into cubscouting. I have a problem in this area. Very quite and reserved unless other people there and "draw me out" just not good thinking stuff on my own.

2. leading pack camping

3. Webelos scout program. I will be the new webelos leader then.

thanks for the replies. Was originally thinking of using this as one of my ticket items but have come up with several other ideas instead. Still want to go tho.

lynn

Lynn,

Since you are going to be a Webelos Leader soon, how long do you see yourself staying in the Cub Program?

I ask because if you are only going to stay in cubbing for about another 18 months, and then leave, maybe a Boy Scout level or district service level program would be more valuable to you.

BW, interesting idea. I went and looked at the courses again. I don't really see any boy scout courses that would be appropriate for me. Maybe the using the scout oath and law in your everday life thing. I'm not sure as a mom how I would fit into the boyscouting program. Alot of the courses sounded fun but not for me. I could be a merit badge counselor I'm sure. I have been a nurse forever so could do first aid etc...

Anyway I did run across one that is interesting to me. Reaching out to the homeschool community. As a homeschooling mom that would be right up my alley. In fact that is one of my ticket items (got a verbal-er...e-mail approval) of that one.

Was thinking of staying on in cubs to help with the then new leaders. Serving wherever they needed or wanted me. Committee member down to den leader except for tigers. Not overly fond of that age....oh well.

Here is why I ask Lynn. the reason that you need a council invitation to attend Philmont Training Center (PTC) is that the conferences are very small in group size. 70 is about the max they can hold with most classes in the 20s or 30s.

Because of that the BSA wants to make sure that the space is taken by someont the council sees as a long term member who will be a benefit to those they serve at the unit, district, or council level.

If you were going to be moving out of cubbing in 18 monthjs and I was a DE looking at philmont choices I would send someone with more years ahead of them in the cub program.

If you are looking to stay on I suggest you give some thought to what role you want to play in scouting. If forintance you were going toi be a pck trainer then I think some of the first courses you selected would be ideal.

If yyou wanted to work at the district or council level to increase scouting among the home-schooled population (A great idea by the way) I would share that with your DE and ask for an invitation to that course.

So do some introspection and choose a lomg term path, then ask for a conference that would help prepare you for that mission.

I think you would get a lot from PTC and I hope you do get the opportunity to attend.

BW

Lynn,

Choose as you see fit. You will have fun and you will find that there are many others from across the country that shares your love for Scouting. You will find some of the best trainers giving the best program that you could possibly have. You will enjoy meals and great leisure time activities. You will find your experience exciting and refreshing. You will be better equipped to deliver the program and you may decide that you can share that kind of joy with many others. That will also be a decision that you can make for yourself when the time comes.

FB