I found this posted on the Chicago Council website:

"Effective January 2003, both the local tour permit and the national tour permit application will include a requirement that at least one adult present during the event or activity must have completed the BSA Youth Protection Training."

The LOCAL tour permit? Is this for real? Or do they mean the overview of YP that's included in Basic Leader Essentials?

(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

CubsRgr8 says:

"Effective January 2003, both the local tour permit and the national tour permit application will include a requirement that at least one adult present during the event or activity must have completed the BSA Youth Protection Training."

The LOCAL tour permit? Is this for real? Or do they mean the overview of YP that's included in Basic Leader Essentials?

This has been a requirement (for local tour permits) in my council for, well, I am not sure how long. I first heard about it probably a little over a year ago, but I did not get the impression that it was a new thing. At that time, I was told that we should NOT use the national form for the "local tour permit" when submitting it to our council, because it will be kicked back. We have to use our council's special form. I once compared the national and council versions (both of the LOCAL tour permit) and the only difference I could find was that the council version asked the date that the tour leader completed YP training. (And now I am looking at what appears to be a brand new version of the council's local tour permit form, and it asks both for the dates of YP training AND Risk Zone training for BOTH the leader and assistant leader of the "tour." (I'm thinking that they will NOT kick back the form because we only have one leader who has Risk Zone training, but we'll find out.) By the way, for Cub Scout Family Camping, the form also asks for the name of the BALOO trained leader and the date of training. We have been specifically told that this applies to all Cub camping events, including council-wide and district-wide camping events. Fortunately our new Assistant Cubmaster has BALOO training and his son just became a "Wolf" so we are set for awhile.)

And the YP training they are talking about is the separate YP training session, not the "teaser" they include in basic training. I believe YP is offered twice a month in my council, though the locations are not very convenient so we have a tough time getting people to go.

A new national policy goes into efect January 1st of 2003. All tour permits (Local and National)will require that you include the name of at least one adult going on the trip who has completed Youth Protection Training.

This is a 90 minute course that should be taken by all adult leaders at least once in a three year period. It is also required training by any male adult leader that is in a dorm style camping facility (such as a cabin) with youth members.

Why are you so surprised that it covers local permits? remember you can travel hundreds of miles from hom on a local tour permit, and besides the danger of abuse is not determined by distance.

Bob White

Bob White,

Thanks for the clarification. To answer your question, I am surprised the revised policy covers local tour permits because there's an emphasis in my council to file a local tour permit whenever a cub scout den takes a field trip away from its regular meeting place. Walking to the police station? Get a local tour permit, in addition to signed permission slips. Therefore, if my council continues with this, every den leader who wants to take a field trip will need to take the 90 minute course. Better to find out now than in January. Thanks again for the information.

I guess I understood that two deep leadership (two registered leaders or one registered and the parent of one of the other scouts)was a requirement in the Guide to Safe Scouting. In our district at least the Youth Protection training is required.